onetesla TS main board PCB delaminated solder points

General topics forum; please ensure your post follows the forum rules.

onetesla TS main board PCB delaminated solder points

Postby emumanx » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:36 am

HI, I am just a bit of a noob when it comes to desoldering. I managed to have my IGBTs blow out after just 10 seconds of use. I replaced the blown fuse and it went pop soon as i \turned it on. So i knew it was dead IGBTs strange thing is there is was nothing else wrong anywhere on the board... But i am drifting off topic here. I desoldered the 1st IGBT (Q2) and it came out ok. Then the second one Q1..... It took out the trace solder pads with it. My QUESTION is can I just put the new IGBT in and try to add enough solder that it drips into the holes ? will that create the connections? ( i can put a small wire from the Q1 G pin to the point that the old tracer on the board went to as I can see it) .. p.s. it took both top and bottom pads off.

Simply put is there a work around for the tracers or am i screwed.
Thanks
emumanx
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: onetesla TS main board PCB delaminated solder points

Postby Bayley » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:20 pm

You are pretty screwed - it is definitely possible to stitch the board back together with wires (traces are just wires, after all), but no neat way to repair it if you took out the pads on both sides.
Bayley
Lord Protector

Postby emumanx » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:32 am

I have been working on the PCB picture off the site and I have traced everything out with my DMM. I got lucky in the fact that this is only a front and back PCB and not sandwiched with layers. I ran my own replacement wires using 28g magnet wire. looks like the problem according to Bayley and co. is the Optical receiver. I hope thats whats wrong as it can be fixed.
Only time will tell.
emumanx
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby E.TexasTesla » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:29 pm

Search Ebay for PCB VIAS
They work great. Just get the right size and press them into the damaged holes.

EDIT: They work if the trace isn't to far gone.
I put them in first on some of my builds so during repairs the PCB doesn't get damaged.
E.TexasTesla
Magnificent MOSFET

Return to Anything else for discussion?