bad partition

General topics forum; please ensure your post follows the forum rules.

Re: bad partition

Postby mushin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:38 am

Looks like the LCD issue was unrelated, it's working fine now. The SD card is still reading as "Bad Partition" though....
mushin
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby RobertBishop » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:24 am

I too have this problem. No matter if the 2gb SD card is formatted FAT or FAT32 it gives the same error.
If the card is removed, then I get No card found every time. I suspect maybe a bad SMD solder joint on the SD socket, because randomly I get no card found even when there is a card in the socket, but if I press down on the SD socket, then I get the Bad Partition message every time.

Another strange behavior is that sometimes turning the Interrupter on will not result in a boot, and I have to power cycle it once or twice to get it to boot. Not sure if that is related though. BTW, this is a new build and this if my first time testing it so there could be other issues.
RobertBishop
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby DiGiTaL´84 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:40 pm

Hey @ all!

I just did the assembly of my TS.

Sorry, to say that, bud it seems like, they´ve got some Quality issues.
Till now i did only the Interrupter assembly and initial operation.

1:

One pin of the SD card holder were not soldered correct. There were solder on the Pin (3rd from left on the image),
bud no connection to the PAD. Took me just 30mins to find and 30seconds to fix it, bud should not happen. :-/

2:

At least one resistor of the divider R1 / R9 sould be a potentiometer!
I did replace R9 with a 5k pot. Correct value for mine (R9) is something about 1500R.
-Yes, the Battery is ok. R1 is 10k and the 5V supply too. ;-)

Best regards
Julian
Attachments
IMG_20180104_200339_resized_20180104_080636926 (Small).jpg
(72.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
20180104_0002.jpg
(113.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DiGiTaL´84
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby Bayley » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:31 am

DiGiTaL´84 wrote:Hey @ all!

I just did the assembly of my TS.

Sorry, to say that, bud it seems like, they´ve got some Quality issues.
Till now i did only the Interrupter assembly and initial operation.

1:

One pin of the SD card holder were not soldered correct. There were solder on the Pin (3rd from left on the image),
bud no connection to the PAD. Took me just 30mins to find and 30seconds to fix it, bud should not happen. :-/

2:

At least one resistor of the divider R1 / R9 sould be a potentiometer!
I did replace R9 with a 5k pot. Correct value for mine (R9) is something about 1500R.
-Yes, the Battery is ok. R1 is 10k and the 5V supply too. ;-)

Best regards
Julian

apologies for the SD card troubles, we are always happy to reflow these boards for you (and pay shipping both ways) if that happens - we do the pre-assembly in-house and a small percentage of them slip through with issues as it is impossible to test a board with only one component assembled.

regarding R1/R9: the decision was made to pick a fixed resistor; depending on which vendor's LCD module your kit has you may get a 100 ohm or 1K ohm resistor in your kit. There may very well be some performance to be gained by experimenting with different resistor values, but having a fixed resistor ensures that all the boards will work adequately out of the box, which we think is more beginner-friendly than adding a trimpot with the resulting confusion (bad pots, people cranking too hard on the pot the wrong way and breaking it, accidental jostling during shipping, etc).
Bayley
Lord Protector

Previous

Return to Anything else for discussion?