TS First Startup Went Wrong...AGAIN

Show off your finished kit here!

TS First Startup Went Wrong...AGAIN

Postby Gmarco » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:12 am

Hi,

An year ago I posted a new topic about the first startup of my TS kit which went wrong because IGBTs dead after I turned on the SD Interrupter and launced Fixed Mode. Bailey answered me that I needed an Optical Receiver Shield.

I waited a lot to ask for it because I wanted to replace the IGBTs and improve the ground connection of my tesla coil but after 6 dead IGBTs, the solder point of them were to damaged. Then I lost my job due to Coronavirus Emergency and I deicided to wait until I found a new one in September.

I order a Full Replacement Set and an Optical Receiver Shield for my kit in November and it arrived in January...without the Shield,so I had to wait 2/3 weeks for it.

I soldered all the components on the main board and today a tried again to start the Tesla Coil for he first time again, using the OR Shield and putting an aluminum foil under the heat sink. The aluminum foil was connected to the ground of a Shucko Socket using alligator clips.

I turned on the Tesla Coil and the Interrupter, nothing happens, as it should do. I selected Fixed Mode on the interrupter I heard the sound of the sparks for about 3 seconds, then the house breaker poped. I tried to turn the Coil again on but as I plugged it in the socket Breaker poped immediatly again. I know that IGBTs are dead again because it was the same problem that occured the fist time an year ago.

Now I have a question: if Low Power test works fine, should it be that I have to cover the secondary with more coat of varnish? I didn't see any arcs on the board and the 10Amps Type F Fuse on the board is fine.
I don't see short between components either.
What Should I do to find the problem?

Thanks
Gmarco
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: TS First Startup Went Wrong...AGAIN

Postby Bayley » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:57 pm

Doesn't sound like a varnishing problem - if it is, there will be visible sparks running down the secondary.
Bayley
Lord Protector

Postby ElectroTom » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:05 pm

What type and rating is your house breaker? Is it a 30amp overcurrent circuit breaker? If so then i think you must have a short that creates enough current to trip that quickly. If your igbts are short then you power circuit is short and will draw loads of current so thats why the breaker probably tripped.
With my 220v version my igbts were blowing without a shield ...but i later discovered that i dont need a shield if the break out point is pointing away from the opti receiver. Try that?
ElectroTom
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby Gmarco » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:21 am

ElectroTom wrote:What type and rating is your house breaker? Is it a 30amp overcurrent circuit breaker? If so then i think you must have a short that creates enough current to trip that quickly. If your igbts are short then you power circuit is short and will draw loads of current so thats why the breaker probably tripped.
With my 220v version my igbts were blowing without a shield ...but i later discovered that i dont need a shield if the break out point is pointing away from the opti receiver. Try that?

The breaker is a 16A, 30mA RCBO. I haven't seen any short on the board, but I'll check again.
The break out point was point away from the OR.
Any other advice?
Gmarco
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby ElectroTom » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:11 pm

oh right, well a 16A RCBO provides overcurrent and earth leakage protection. If its a type B then you need 5x 16A = 80A current to trip it instantaneously. Earth leakage protection obviously only needs 30mA required to trip it. If your F10A fuse didnt rupture but your RCBO operated- then sounds like the RCBO tripped on earth leakage..
..Have you done a 'good job' on all the solders on the board? I use a magnifying glass to inspect during/after soldering- check for cracks and any inconsistencies etc. I use IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) to clean up after soldering [this is nasty stuff be warned]. Use a stiff brush to scrap away all the flux debris- you may be surprised how much solder flux debris is left over if you don't scrub it off- and potentially this could cause problems. There is only so much you can see with your bare eyes.

However, since you got your initial burst before destruction, and seeing this issue on previous threads, it would seem that your issue may be related to the RF locking on the OR? ... I know you have a shield etc but is your set up/shield grounded properly? Can you increase the grounding? Maybe adding additional ground cables connecting to water pipes ect - points that you know are grounded. Maybe try it powered from a different socket in a different location, maybe the RF will propagate differently in a different environment?
Good luck!
ElectroTom
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits