Vancouver build

Show off your finished kit here!

Vancouver build

Postby wideeyedproductions » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:16 am

Our build here in Vancouver BC is running beautifully. We were able to salvage an actual 8"toroid from an earlier project and the sparks have been running at 8 to 10 inches. Great response when played live or from MIDI files

Thank you Bayley, Heidi, and Daniel for this fantastic kit

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... CQqm5juRoI
wideeyedproductions
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: Vancouver build

Postby Bayley » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:58 am

Nice job! What sort of environment are you running in (the videos are too dark to see)? I ask because this might affect tuning, and with a little tweaking you should be able to get 15-20" easy.
Bayley
Lord Protector

Postby wideeyedproductions » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Thanks Bayley. Our setup in the videos had the coil on top of a plastic milk crate on a tabletop. In some of the videos we were keeping the power down in the 60-70% range which would also account for the shorter sparks.

We ran into an issue today where we appear to have blown the tank capacitor (CDE940) Can you provide any additional specs on it for sourcing a replacement? I've had a look on the Digikey site and they have quite a large number in the CDE940 line (http://www.digikey.com/product-search/e ... ageSize=25)
wideeyedproductions
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby stegu » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:34 pm

Don't take my word for it, but this is the one I have, and the one that is pictured in the manual, 940C30S68K:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... -ND/809479

It's also the only axial lead capacitor from DigiKey that is 68 nF with a 3kV rating.
Last edited by stegu on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stegu
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Bayley » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:38 pm

Yup, that's the one you're looking for.
Also, interesting that you killed the tank cap...I've been through quite a few of these (some running for many many hours) and none of the caps have blown.
Fortunately the cap is cheap and easy to replace, so no big deal I guess. I see you're in Canada, so if Digikey shipping is expensive (several vendors have $50+ international shipping) PM me and we'll get you a new cap.
Bayley
Lord Protector

Postby wideeyedproductions » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Thanks Bayley. Digikey has been pretty reasonable with their shipping costs. I'll keep you posted on whether it turns out to be solely a capacitor issue.

Thanks again
Brian
wideeyedproductions
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits