MUCH MUCH better now!!!

Show off your finished kit here!

MUCH MUCH better now!!!

Postby Cyborgcnc » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:29 pm

Made a few modifications to the coil after blowing the crap out of the IGBT's. Again, as most have posted, the Secondary and Primary as shipped recently are way out of tune!

-First, I got a much faster Fan (Computer cooling fan). Although a little more noisy, it now really blows air!

-Second: Dropped the primary windings from 6 down to 5!

-This bought the Primary to about a 305 KHz resonance, while the secondary as I measured out of the box, was at around 325KHz.

-My Resistance to Ground (Secondary) is at 236 Ohms.

-Replaced the IGBT's

COILS is now "marching"......errrr you will need to see the video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCC6C0CCF1Q

MUCH MUCH better, primary does not even get warm! The video was with about 45% of power....I will go higher, and see if it makes a difference, but VERY happy with the results, and the coil just seems to run SOOO much better now!

:D :D
Cyborgcnc
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: MUCH MUCH better now!!!

Postby DJKOR » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:55 am

Out of curiosity, what power level were you running your coil at for that video? Just trying to gauge a few things when comparing other member's output sparks. Still trying to figure out what works best for these coils.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=998 | 246kHz Primary / 267kHz Secondary
DJKOR
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Cyborgcnc » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:51 am

The run with the song as noted was at about 50%...in other words, I had the power pot on the interrupter turned to about it's midpoint.

I will get a little more brave soon, and probably run some tests with higher power, but right now I am having so much fun running it, that I do not want to run blowing up the IGBTs again (although I have 2 extra pairs!) :-)
Cyborgcnc
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby Cyborgcnc » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:56 pm

I am LOVING this thing!! Absolutely Amazing, at only 50%.....so much better tuned with a 5 turn primary!!!

http://www.cnclutherie.com/images/Tesla2.jpg

http://www.cnclutherie.com/images/Tesla3.jpg
Cyborgcnc
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby DJKOR » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:18 pm

Cyborgcnc wrote:The run with the song as noted was at about 50%...in other words, I had the power pot on the interrupter turned to about it's midpoint.

I will get a little more brave soon, and probably run some tests with higher power, but right now I am having so much fun running it, that I do not want to run blowing up the IGBTs again (although I have 2 extra pairs!) :-)

I just noticed you mentioning 45% power in the original post. I completely missed that one. Been having one too many late nights I think and starting to cloud my head.

Good to see though that your 5 turn primary managed to give you a satisfying outcome. Wish I could say the same about mine.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=998 | 246kHz Primary / 267kHz Secondary
DJKOR
Magnificent MOSFET

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits