Yet another successful running TC

Show off your finished kit here!

Yet another successful running TC

Postby brokenbits » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:54 am

Greetings all,

I've joined the club of happy OneTesla coil builders. Had a great time building the kit and everything went together very easily. The coil is running and tossing big sparks!

I made some static measurements of the primary and secondary resonant frequencies and thought I'd share them here for anyone interested: BTW I used my trusty Tektronics 465B analog o-scople, Heathkit signal generator (good up to 500kHz) and an MFJ 259 in frequency counter mode. The MFJ 259 counter was checked for accuracy with a 10MHz standard (GDO) so I'm confident in the frequency measurements using this setup. The secondary was measured with the toroid in place but separate from the rest of the hardware.

Data:

Primary - 254.822 kHz
Secondary - 338.983 kHz
PWM range - 200kHz to 285.7kHz

This data suggested that some fine tuning would be a good idea. Since the primary was more or less centered in the range of the PWM I decided to make changes to the secondary by adding more capacitance to top load. Made a trip to Menards (home improvement center) and purchased some 3" x 8' flexible aluminum duct and a roll of aluminum tape. The duct is sold in a compressed state (like an accordian) and I formed it into a toroid using the whole piece. It was then place on top of the toroid supplied with the kit and held in place using the aluminum tape.

New secondary resonant frequency = 259.260 kHz

Since the goal is to be about 10% higher than the primary this new resonant frequency is too low. So, I started reducing the size of the second toriod until the resonant frequency went up to 285 kHz which is much closer to where I think it should be. Close enough for government work anyway!

I'm not quite finished playing with the tuning but the coil is up and running and spark length as half power is very impressive.

Enjoy...
brokenbits
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: Yet another successful running TC

Postby brokenbits » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:56 pm

I'll take some pictures this weekend and post them here for yuks...
brokenbits
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby brokenbits » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:23 am

Camera settings:

ISO 1600
5 seconds shutter
Attachments
_MG_75843.jpg
(25.18 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Last edited by brokenbits on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
brokenbits
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby brokenbits » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:26 am

A fine aluminum tape job to hold the added toroid!
Attachments
Added more C to the top.jpg
Here tis...
(207.64 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
brokenbits
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby brokenbits » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:03 pm

Sorry about the huge picture sizes. I've compressed the images as far as possible but when attached to a post they don't fit nicely.
brokenbits
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits