Repaired Secondary Coil

Show off your finished kit here!

Repaired Secondary Coil

Postby badnews » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:45 pm

Coil was damaged during shipping. Impact damage in several spots compromised the insulation. Three complete breaks had to be repaired. To our surprise the coil worked well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoSSIkIYhXI&noredirect=1
badnews
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: Repaired Secondary Coil

Postby Speedy78 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:52 pm

Very interesting repairs. What camera are you using? Very crisp looking streamers that my cell phone never pics up right :(
Speedy78
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Freebee » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:37 am

Wow, I'm amazed it even worked well the first few minutes, with a nice output even. Looking back on it, wasn't a small solder blob on those cuts a better plan? It might short circuit a few windings, but it would protrude less from the coil.
Freebee
Terrific Tube

Postby SuperJim » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:25 pm

Speedy78 wrote:Very interesting repairs. What camera are you using? Very crisp looking streamers that my cell phone never pics up right :(

The camera is a Canon 7D, with 50mm F1.8 lens, mounted on a tripod. Auto ISO was probably at about 3200 because it was quite dark, and I expect the shutter speed was at 1/30 sec. Next time I will use manual settings to reduce the video noise.
SuperJim
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby SuperJim » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Freebee wrote:Wow, I'm amazed it even worked well the first few minutes, with a nice output even. Looking back on it, wasn't a small solder blob on those cuts a better plan? It might short circuit a few windings, but it would protrude less from the coil.

The idea was to keep the repairs away from each other, and from the damaged insulation on the intervening coil turns. We have reapplied several layers of the insulating coating to the repaired areas, the flash-over point and to the entire secondary coil in general and will retest when the weather allows. Next time we will raise the entire assembly slightly, as we couldn't get to full power without direct ground strikes (to the base plate).
SuperJim
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits