Working! … and some questions about flashover

Show off your finished kit here!

Working! … and some questions about flashover

Postby sgreenhill » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:10 am

I finally got my oneTesla coil finished, after a few false starts, and thanks to some holiday time.

My 240v kit was missing some parts (diodes, and toroid), which eventually arrived in Western Australia after a detour to Bermuda!

bermuda.jpg
(25.34 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

During the final stages I realised I was still missing parts - wire for the primary winding, and the optic fibre. The wire was easy to source, although I think mine is slightly thicker than the original, as it didn't fit in the clip, and was difficult to fit through the supplied pads (eg. for the current sensor). For the optic fibre I bought a 10m Toslink cable for about $3 on eBay and just cut off the end connectors - works fine.

I found that the most challenging part was mounting the secondary coil. On my first attempt the secondary arced down the inside of the tube at about 10% power. After reading some forum posts I:
* erased the massive scorch mark from the inside with the wire-brush attachment on my dremel tool.
* rewired the connections to the end bolts, so that wires inside the tube are as short as possible.
* installed an insulating disk inside the tube (MDF wrapped in rubber) which completely separates the top and bottom sections.
* externally grounded the coil, placing it on a wire mesh that is connected to the bottom of the secondary.

After that it worked fine. Here's a first test using the "Fixed" setting on the interrupter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoW69yTSgeY

However, I had some problems while driving it via MIDI. There's quite a lot of flashover on the secondary, which I think may be related to low frequency notes. Does that sound possible? Its only in the lower part of the coil, around the primary, but I'm fairly sure its not arcing to the primary.

Here's a first test using MIDI at about 50% power:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0DP-hD36JQ

Note that the flashover is completely absent in the first video. There's a bright spot on the bottom left of the secondary, where it seems to be arcing directly between two turns of the winding. Here's a close-up of the spot, which is small but visible due to the surrounding black scorch mark.

oneTesla-spot-1.jpg
(62.4 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

Here's another slightly nastier spot.

onetesla-spot-2.jpg
(164.84 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

What should I do about this? Despite the damage, the coil still conducts and is measuring about 230 ohms. Is this problem simply caused by inadequate insulation, or is something else going on? I bought some polyurethane spray, and am planning to do a couple of coats in the hope of improving the situation.
sgreenhill
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: Working! … and some questions about flashover

Postby Bayley » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Few coats of varnish (preferably the brushed-on type) should do the trick.
Bayley
Lord Protector

Re: Working! … and some questions about flashover

Postby Freebee » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:20 pm

Wow, great output there mate. I get about 3/4 of that, and at the moment I can't seem to get it higher. Yours is touching all the way to the ground at the first try. Good job!
Freebee
Terrific Tube

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits