Dueling Coils

Show off your finished kit here!

Dueling Coils

Postby Tod » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:28 pm

I wrote custom software to allow for dual midi devices on same PC. I'll post the source code this week (and executable for those that don't do object pascal).

My old camera shows its age, but you should be able to see a few of the ground strikes. I ran this about 50-60% power. I scrunch tuned my primary. I was using 5 turn primary, but it would get too hot. I uses some weed whacker line to space out a 6 turn primary and it worked real well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9iSwOH0I24

Come on Bayley and Heidi, we need to build some bigger ones :-)
Tod
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: Dueling Coils

Postby ican » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:56 am

I think its awesome that you wrote your own software to do this... But why not just use one of the free midi sequencer apps that does this automatically? Just curious. Looks good though... I think you're the second person to run dual oneTesla so far... You can grab a few of my tracks on the midi forum. :-) Carol of the bells is especially fun.
ican
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Tod » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:28 am

Thanks :-) Its been a lot of fun. I just always enjoy writing software that interfaces with hardware. I tried a few of the free programs out there. None handled dual USB MIDI devices properly at the same time. I'd be curious what sequencers actually do it properly?

I don't believe Windows 7 has a midimapper like earlier versions of windows, so its a little harder to tell it which devices to send output to when you have multiple. I am sure there are some, but I am not one to install 10 different programs to find out which works properly. This normally just causes problems. I usually just write it myself. I also like sharing this kind of stuff with others. Open source is always a win for us end users :-)
Tod
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby ican » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:59 pm

Ableton, while not free in the traditional sense, can be downloaded and just not activated... You can't save your changes, but you can work with all the features on the fly...

Fruity Loops is also available, and while it isn't nearly as intuitive as using Ableton, I think it will work.

In Ableton, you map Track 1 to External Instrument-X, and Track 2 to External Instrument-Y, then map the External Instruments to each individual Midi Adapter. I have a 4-port USB port on my laptop, and just from plugging in each adapter to a different port in order, I got up to MIDI 2.0 #4 in Ableton, which means it can have 4 different coils running and control them all from different tracks.

You can see a picture of what I'm talking about with Ableton on the "how do you make midi tracks for oneTesla" thread

Your method looks like it works though... =)
ican
Magnificent MOSFET

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits