After about 45 days 2x 5v regs Finally working

Show off your finished kit here!

After about 45 days 2x 5v regs Finally working

Postby Robert_Au » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:34 pm

After about 45 days 2x 5v regs 2x 7414's 2x 7474's 1 set of gate drive IC's a fibre receiver and a fibre transmitter which I replaced with the wrong one, I now have a working testa coil. Well I did until I had a huge ark over between secondary and primary burning a spot in the secondary and fried the primary! Guess I got too excited with it working and went a little over board with the power. Now for ? Is the fact I replaced the fibre transmitter with the wrong one going to cause me any long term problems? I replaced it with a IF-E97 Can the interrupter pots be swapped out for 5k ones instead of the 10k ones? Would doing that limit me to half power max? Also would like to change the bright ness of the power LED's (they all seem to bright to me. The interrupter is blinding) by changing the appropriate resistors connected to them with a higher value what would you suggest there Could you in theory get artistic after laying down some coats of clear polyethylene and airbrush a image on the secondary coil and put more clear over the top? This can probably be tried on the secondary I have since I need to fix and replace it.

links to some low quality pics still working out the new stills camera

http://s271.photobucket.com/user/bobdog ... sla%20Coil

link to video there is more in my channel including the one that ate my primary

flight of the bumble bee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl7JPX6srZw
Robert_Au
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: After about 45 days 2x 5v regs Finally working

Postby Alex » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:12 pm

Try not to have the sparks arc to a close object at full power, this draws a lot of current through the secondary.

Not sure about the fiber transmitter, but I believe you should be using a transmitter that was designed for it.

You could replace the resistors or change out the led's for some with a diffused case if they are too bright.
I wouldn't put anything on the secondary, unless you are certain that it is not electrically/statically conductive because it will result in racing sparks. You can try with your old secondary. Depending on how bad the burn is on your secondary, you can fix it with some packing tape. My secondary caught on fire and a little square of thin packing tape solved the problem.
Last edited by Alex on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby bomber315 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:17 am

what happens if you draw too much power thru the secondary?
bomber315
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Alex » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:33 pm

more current in the primary, more stress on the IGBT's
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits