Completed coil

Show off your finished kit here!

Completed coil

Postby Tesla369 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:47 am

Just finished my coil and it works great!!!, I will post some Picts soon, I made some changes after reading posts on here and everyone is very helpfull. This is my first solid state coil and it is great fun, I have been building very large coils for over 30 years and most of my coils are in the 3 to 8,000,000 volts for museum's and for science displays as well as lightning testing different devices such as planes and for research. So why did I pick One Tesla and build such a small coil, since I am a physisist, because after much research I found them to be of high quality and I'm partial to MIT ;) well any way I would make some recomendations, some small but important changes. one drill a small hole at both ends of your secondary and run the wires inside to the end caps. Two, a two inch 8/32 bolt for the top with a 3/4" ceramic standoff and a 1/2 " metal inside threaded standoff so the teroid sits is well above the secondary. Three, put on at least 4 coats of polyurethane on the secondary. I cut the fan slots out so as to make for better air flow. Four, added a small block on the outside of the case so if the room AC is not grounded properly you can switch over to earth ground,(do not use the third prong of your power to earth ground it could cause a ground loop) any way this is a great kit to learn about solid state coils and it is solid in every way, read the instruction carefully and you will have great results. Again a GREAT coil for the pric and Again One Tesla Great job you should all be proud.
Tesla369
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: Completed coil

Postby E.TexasTesla » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:02 pm

Curious , what would an 8,000,000 volt tesla coil do with wires running inside the secondary?

Bad ideal.
E.TexasTesla
Magnificent MOSFET

Re: Completed coil

Postby Tesla369 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:19 pm

The wire is not run inside the secondary, just at the top and bottom of the secondary coil. and at extreme high voltages the secondary form is usually fiber glass or i use phenolic, In all my years of building extreme high voltage coils i have never had a problem of ark passing through the coil.
Tesla369
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits