SUCCESS!! then failure....

Show off your finished kit here!

SUCCESS!! then failure....

Postby woodiewoodpecker » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:24 am

After 3 days of building up my coil it was ready for its first run and boy was I surprised. After changing the 2 ic's around it burst in to life. As I tentatively wound up the power knob sparks began to fly just as I had hoped, however, when I tested out the midi input I forgot it could only handle 2 notes at once and the midi file I grabbed of the net had many, many more. (secrets by one republic). The coil made it all the way to the end then the igbt's gave up. I am hoping that the are the only components that have died. It managed a decent run on fixed frequency mode at reasonably high power so I'm hoping it was just the midi track that caused it to fail. I have tested the low voltage side and there is 5 and 15 volts on the appropriate pins.
you can see my coils first run here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abWQOHB ... e=youtu.be
If anyone has any tips for starting out with these coils they would be most welcome. I have already learnt a lot just by reading around this forum.

A big thankyou to the OneTesla community for the support everyone has given me so far.
cheers,
Chris.
woodiewoodpecker
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: SUCCESS!! then failure....

Postby Moors7 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:02 pm

I'd hate to disappoint you, but I'm afraid the MIDI file isn't the problem. If you feed the interrupter more than 2 notes, it will simply end the first one, and start with the third. The reason why we feed it 2 notes only, is to make sure that whatever music is played, is actually music we want to have played, not a random selection by the interrupter. I'd recommend sticking to the MIDI files found around here on the forums; most of them are tested and are specially made for the oneTesla (or at least tesla coils). I've posted a couple which should work pretty okay, just check the MIDI section.
As far as components that may have died go, make sure to check those big black diodes, they have a tendency to go along with the IGBTs (well, that's what mine did.)
Cheers,
Jordy
Take a look at my website for oneTesla compatible MIDI files. Enjoy.
Moors7
Terrific Tube

Postby loneoceans » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:19 am

The interrupter only plays from the first channel of the MIDI - this is one instrument, and as Moors7 said, the interrupter will only play at most two notes. Did you turn the knob up to 'full power'? If so, and depending on which firmware you are running on the interrupter, the pulse width will be unnecessarily long, which puts undue stress on your transistors especially if you are not perfectly in tune. So I suspect this is the cause of your problem. Depending on how the failure occurred, you might need to replace both transistors and the rectifier diodes.
loneoceans
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby woodiewoodpecker » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:44 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO6nffXLqvk
Here's my coil running. I'll upload more songs to YouTube when I have a better camera setup.
woodiewoodpecker
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits