Just finished kit and working good.

Show off your finished kit here!

Re: Just finished kit and working good.

Postby Alex » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:12 am

its easier to fine tune the primary then get different value capacitors, but let me know how it goes!

the fact that your primary runs cool will not necessarily stay true when you change the other parameters of your primary circuit though.
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby Braditude » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:36 am

Yeah, I thought about that since its not running full power.
Thought about tuning the secondary too. But I glued it together.
I could wind a new secondary too. I have all sizes of wire at work, but I have been trying to figure out what wire size and turn count it actually is on javatc. I have input quite a few different parameters for wire size and turns to come to the inductance, resonance and resistance values. Somewhere around 1400 turns and #35 wire, or was it #34.5 wire and 1450 turns? I don't know if javatc takes into account the insulation thickness, or is that the gap between windings measurements?
I think my inductance was 27 uHys, resistance 245 Ohms, and resonance around 339 kHz.
Anyway I'll figure it out. Suppose that' s part of the fun. At least I didn't have to start from scratch and use up months of time getting it to work. With what little time I do have, I can play around with the coils some..
Thanks Alex for the input.
Braditude
Rambunctious Relay

Postby Alex » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:59 am

i've always wanted to wind myself a new secondary, but I won't have the time now, and there would be a slim chance I'd get it perfectly in tune. I've been meaning to 3d print myself a new primary coil form, and just use some bare solid copper wire but that will take a while.
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby Braditude » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:52 pm

It would be easy for me to wind a secondary since I have a winding machine at work.
I worked at a transformer company 18 years ago for 17 years.
We actually have one of the same machines now. Its small but will work for small coils.
I just have to make a tailstock for it to support something long.
I'll let you know how the new capacitors work when I get them.
I ordered the new TS, so it would be fun to compare both.
Looking forward to the new interrupter too.
Braditude
Rambunctious Relay

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:26 pm

mmmmmmmmmm transformer winders :)
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby Braditude » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:12 pm

SO, I just finished testing with a new capacitor and pow! Popped the IGBT's, and fuse.
I tried a .10 uF. Too much.
I replaced all of the damaged components, changed the capacitor back to the original ,068 uF with the addition of 2 .015 uF in series, for a total of .075 uF, and that seem to work, at least it seems that my spark length is back to normal, but of course my primary does not get hot. So this is what I was looking for.
Still need to do a little more fine tuning.
I'm adding a built in power supply, 24V, turned down to the original 19 volts. I'll add a switch to turn on the main power as the supply will come on when plugged in.
Braditude
Rambunctious Relay

Postby Alex » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:53 pm

.1 uF??????

lol thats wayyyyyy too much. your primary current probably went up to 600A
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Previous

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits