Finally

Show off your finished kit here!

Finally

Postby pyrowolf » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:50 am

.... i'm ready to show my kit, running beautifully, with some customization...

I found that the coil was way out of tune when building the kit according to the manual, even thoigh the secondary was in specs with 250 ohms. I measured the secondary with 295 khz and the 6-turn primary with 226 khz. After rewinding it with 5 turns i was ending at 268 khz which was much better. The sparks where at about 15", still not the best result.. I started to experiment with new primaries and ended with a 5-turn flat made of 4mm copper tubing. Looking good and spark length grew up to app. 22".
To avoid secondary or primary strikes i put a 60 mm plexiglass tube over the secondary and a 3 mm clear macrolon sheet above the primary.
I also build a new , open chassis then and changed the fan to a stronger one. Now ecerything stays pretty cool even after running it for 45 min at full power. I will post some videos soon, in the moment i try playing the coil with my laserharp....

Best,

Wolf

image.jpg
(1.08 MiB) Not downloaded yet
image.jpg
(1.13 MiB) Not downloaded yet
pyrowolf
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: Finally

Postby Arvn73 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:03 am

Hi Wolf,

Interesting mods you made to the kit, the final result looks great. The plexi overtube on the secondary looks great, when my oneTeslaTS kit arrives I'll have to see if the dimensions of the secondary is close to the same as to original, before ordering an overtuble. Is this where you got it from; http://www.eplastics.com/Plexiglass_Acrylic_Tube ?
The spacers for the flat 6 turn primary that you ended up with, where did you acquire them from, or did you print them?
I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself, should probably build it up as supplied before planning mods, maybe the redesigns have eliminated some of the underlying challenges that motivate upgrades.

Anyway, you have quite the beautiful TC.

L8r,
Brian
Sorcerer's Apprentice
Arvn73
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: Finally

Postby pyrowolf » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:29 am

Hi,

actually i found the plexitube in my workshop. But it's pretty standard also found on ebay or Amazon. The spacers are also standard parts, 4mm nylon screws and nylon nuts ;-) i just CNC milled the holes to get it accurate and save some work...

Videos will come tomorrow.

Best,

Wolf
pyrowolf
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits