Another One Operational !

Show off your finished kit here!

Another One Operational !

Postby alexp » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:31 am

WOW, that is all I can say. I am Impressed !!!!

The little guy is next to his Big Brother built about 10 years ago, but it is
of spark-gap design. The music output of the OneTesla is the Novelty and it really has a very
significant spark length for its Diminutive Size !

Only had the OneTesla running at 50% power Fixed, and low power with the SD card.
Interrupter and everything works fine..

Update:
All is running FINE.

Has anyone tried a Vertical Breakout wire rather than Horizontal ?
Any problems ?

Regards,
Alex
Orlando
Attachments
Two_Teslas.jpg
(721.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by alexp on Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexp
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: Another One Operational !

Postby Alex » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:39 pm

wow, very nice build on the rsg coil!
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby Fiddy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:39 pm

alexp wrote:Has anyone tried a Vertical Breakout wire rather than Horizontal ?[/b]
Any problems ?

Im going to try this on both TS and TinyTesla, im using a aluminum spike i machined up, hoping that it doesnt add to much top load capacitance, sucks we cant adjust the primary turns to counter it.

The Tiny tesla will auto tune, but a increase in topload capacitance might result in flashover, currently adding many layers of varnish to my secondarys.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j125/ ... 7738_o.jpg
Pico SGTC
Nano SSTC
Audio Modulated SSTC
Audio Modulated Bipolar SSTC
TinyTesla SSTC
Onetesla TS DRSSTC
OneTesla DRSSTC
EVR MicroBrute DRSSTC
Fiddy
Terrific Tube

Postby alexp » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:51 am

I observed there needs to be a several inch long length to the 'stinger' or I had multiple breakouts on the
toroid. And you are correct on the 'tuning' - making it too easy is not always the best option.
The strange 'reverse spirals' on the top and bottom of the top circuit board do not lend themselves to trimming ..

On the large coil, it took time to find the 'sweet spot' on the primary .. within a 1/4 in or so, and that pri
has an OD of 15 inches ! ..

I think the intent of using #40 ga wire for the secondary of the new OneTesla design is to lower the Q of the coil by 'adding' 780 ohms of resistance ( via the wire ) to make the coil less susceptible to changes in its environment and have a better chance of 'working the first time' by broadening the resonance - and probably at the expense of performance.

Nice Collection of coils etc !
Is that a series of gas tubes in the plexi rack ? Buy or Make ?

I just used the brush-on polyurethane - two coats seemed sufficient.

Will not just changing the position of the primary windings (downward) on the Tiny Coil adjust the coupling and alleviate the arc-overs ? Or maybe reducing the # of turns by a fraction ?

Alex

Im going to try this on both TS and TinyTesla, im using a aluminum spike i machined up, hoping that it doesnt add to much top load capacitance, sucks we cant adjust the primary turns to counter it.

The Tiny tesla will auto tune, but a increase in topload capacitance might result in flashover, currently adding many layers of varnish to my secondarys.
alexp
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby Fiddy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:12 am

alexp wrote:I think the intent of using #40 ga wire for the secondary of the new OneTesla design is to lower the Q of the coil by 'adding' 780 ohms of resistance ( via the wire ) to make the coil less susceptible to changes in its environment and have a better chance of 'working the first time' by broadening the resonance - and probably at the expense of performance.

Nice Collection of coils etc !
Is that a series of gas tubes in the plexi rack ? Buy or Make ?

I just used the brush-on polyurethane - two coats seemed sufficient.

Will not just changing the position of the primary windings (downward) on the Tiny Coil adjust the coupling and alleviate the arc-overs ? Or maybe reducing the # of turns by a fraction ?

Yeah they are, bought from china, all the inert gasses and then some :-)

Moving the primary down on the tiny tesla will lower the coupling but not enough,i just ran JavaTC and found the coupling is sitting at almost 0.5k the recommend coupling is 0.128k! My measurements are from memory so not exact.

Moving the primary down so far that it isnt wound over the secondary at all still brings the coupling to ~0.3k

Increasing the diameter of the primary to a whopping 26cm will bring the coupling into the right coupling range but thats quite big compare to a 9cm secondary!
Pico SGTC
Nano SSTC
Audio Modulated SSTC
Audio Modulated Bipolar SSTC
TinyTesla SSTC
Onetesla TS DRSSTC
OneTesla DRSSTC
EVR MicroBrute DRSSTC
Fiddy
Terrific Tube

Postby loneoceans » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:05 pm

Fiddy wrote:Yeah they are, bought from china, all the inert gasses and then some :-)

Moving the primary down on the tiny tesla will lower the coupling but not enough,i just ran JavaTC and found the coupling is sitting at almost 0.5k the recommend coupling is 0.128k! My measurements are from memory so not exact.

Moving the primary down so far that it isnt wound over the secondary at all still brings the coupling to ~0.3k

Increasing the diameter of the primary to a whopping 26cm will bring the coupling into the right coupling range but thats quite big compare to a 9cm secondary!

Those are a very nice set of gas tubes :)

The k value recommendation doesn't apply for the tinytesla in this case - it is afterall a conventional SSTC. If you're worried about the primary and secondary being so close together, I'd simply wrap a thick clear insulator band around the bottom of the secondary (e.g. vinyl or something) and wrap the primary around it. The coil will be fine. IMO the primary coupling is a bit high - it could probably do with a wider diameter primary.
loneoceans
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby kastnerd » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:09 pm

Anyone ever use a heat shrink plastic over there secondary coil?
kastnerd
Rambunctious Relay

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits