First Sparks

Show off your finished kit here!

First Sparks

Postby Ross » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Just got my midi board finally working (no idea what was up with it) and gave the tesla a quick run, check out the videos :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4lk6qrfwh7biwhf/GO8ZP6oMuE

Now as you can see the spark lenght is rather short and the change in power and pitch is not smooth, any diagnostics you guys could offer?

The resistance from the ground pin to the breakout point is 220Ω.
The resistance of the pin in the power plug to copper water pipe supplying the house is 5Ω.
Im still waiting on the delivery of the toroid, but will make one out of foil and give that a go tomorrow.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-08-06 at 23.01.46.png
(44.82 KiB) Downloaded 592 times
Ross
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: First Sparks

Postby Bayley » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:23 pm

So I'm amazed that the coil works without a toroid. Without it, you're out of tune by something like 50% (back-of-envelope number, don't quote me on that!)
The detuning explains the underperformance, and probably the glitching you have as well (since the electronics misbehave when you have so little energy transfer to the secondary).
Great work though, glad to see your driver board working :) (and glad to see that the toroid-less coil doesn't explode too).
Bayley
Lord Protector

Postby Ross » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:06 pm

I fear Its the magic break-out paperclip that stopped it from exploding.
Ross
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby Danny_Harris » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:09 am

So I'm astonished that the loop works without a toroid. Without it, you're off key by something like 50% (again of-envelope number, don't cite me on that!)

The detuning demonstrates the underperformance, and likely the glitching you have moreover (since the hardware get rowdy when you have so small vigor exchange to the auxiliary).
Danny_Harris
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits