WooHoo!!! Built and now just waiting for the toroid.

Show off your finished kit here!

Final adjustments.

Postby DJKOR » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:47 am

I was getting a couple of light burn marks on the stamped toroid where my secondary toroid did not make complete contact with the stamped toroid. The breakout point was also sitting slightly higher than if it were on the stamped toroid so I felt like I wanted to get the breakout point a little lower so it is just that much closer to ground.

I wrapped up another length of hose just the right size so it sits snugly around the stamped toroid. Then I used some aluminium tape to seal the circumference of the stamped toroid which also creates a mating surface for the secondary toroid. That solves that minor burning issue I was getting.

Tested the secondary resonance and it is now at 267kHz. Gave it a quick test run and all looks well. Had a couple of ground strikes on fixed frequency testing too. So with that said, I also did some midi tests as attached.

Tetris 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1YmFK-1Mtg&hd=1

Axel Foley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ildK5i0UhY&hd=1
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=998 | 246kHz Primary / 267kHz Secondary
DJKOR
Magnificent MOSFET

Had a bit of time today.

Postby DJKOR » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:55 pm

I received on of those eBay panel meter thermometers a while back but didn't really have the time to install it. Today I had a free moment so I fitted it in. I drilled a hole in the side of the heatsink to get closer to the back of the IGBT's and placed the probe down in there before sealing it up. I then cut out a hole in the front of the case and mounted the gauge. I need to replace the high voltage sticker though as it got damaged while removing it (it was already bad around the edged after placing it on the wrong side of the acrylic due to the note etched onto the acrylic). So far so good. Won't really be running this for another few weeks as I need to do some travelling for work etc.

Have quite a bit of a mess of wires in there due to the additional cooling fan as well. Not sure if I even need that, but I'll leave it there for now. Might work on cleaning up all the cables eventually.

DJKOR
Magnificent MOSFET

Re: Some adjustments... and another song.

Postby DJKOR » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:23 am

So it was a hot summer day here with nothing to do so I figured to work on the interrupter this time. I was wanting an easier way to deal with all the cables for whenever I wanted to play something from my laptop. I realised that:

a) I had always left my USB to MIDI adaptor cables tied up and never had he need to untie them, and
b) I have absolutely no use for the MIDI Input.

There looked to be enough room in the interrupter so I removed the plastic casting of the USB to MIDI adaptor and got to work. I drilled a hole in the side of the interrupter to feed the USB cable through and mounted the PCB of the adapter in the bottom of the interrupter case. Then I connected the MIDI Output directly to the interruptor PCB. I don't really intend on connecting any other MIDI device to the interrupter so wasn't concerned if the permanent connection would cause an issue.

I did consider making the interrupter to be USB powered since it does have a 5V regulator on it so I figured 5V input would be fine, but then I realised that I may want to run it on fixed mode and don't want to deal with an external power source. If I was really picky, I would have mounted a USB socket on the interrupter casing so the USB cable isn't always attached, but I couldn't be THAT bothered.

Also ran "OneRepublic - Secrets" thanks to Alex. I think this was the longest track I have run on my oneTesla. So far so good. The primary didn't really heat up more than usual so I'm happy. All I need to do now if shield the back of the thermometer so it doesn't play up like it does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpJ4W5238KY&hd=1

DJKOR
Magnificent MOSFET

Re: WooHoo!!! Built and now just waiting for the toroid.

Postby Alex » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:47 am

Nice work! Always a fan of tidying things up.

By alex do you mean me…? haha :P
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby DJKOR » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:50 am

Alex wrote:By alex do you mean me…? haha :P

I believe so. Got the MIDI via Jordy Moors: http://jordymoors.nl/tesla%20coil/midi

Still love how Dr. Who played on my coil before I fixed up the edges of the toroid to prevent breakout from other places:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoU8lptPmnc&hd=1

Last edited by DJKOR on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
DJKOR
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Alex » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:56 am

That would be me (:

Oops it seems the Beethoven's virus got clipped…
don't play that one lol
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Previous

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits