I have a neon transformer...and thats about it

Non-kit projects based on the public Gen1 designs

Postby gencode » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:27 pm

I want to build a tesla coil but more importantly when complete I want to be able to make music with it.
I would like to use my neon transformer as the power source.
If I build my own tesla coil with my 9k neon transformer what will I need to buy from to make it sing.

Is there any recommended sites to build a tesla coil using a neon transformer or do you have plans/links to them.
All I see is the full kit

yea, Im a noob at this, I made a tesla coil back in the 80s...been a while, but this is a project my daughter wants to build with me
gencode
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: I have a neon transformer...and thats about it

Postby Alex » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:35 pm

To make the coil audio modulated you will need to make a solid state coil, which replaces the transformer and spark gap with a driver and IGBT's, so you won't be able make use of your transformer.

I've thought about making a rotary spark gap with a low enough moment of inertia and a powerful motor to try to adjust the break rate to make music but I think I'm just going to stick with solid state coiling...
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby gencode » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:35 am

So it sounds like I can build it, home grown Tesla coil, show her how it works etc.

Then I need to remove the Neon Transformer and Spark Gap and replace it with what part(s)?
can you send link/price
gencode
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby Alex » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:24 am

Unfortunately, a solid state tesla coil is much more complex than a spark gap one, and can be much more expensive.

how big of a coil are you looking at/how much spark do you want from it?
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Return to Independent Gen1 Builds