Small DRSSTC

Non-kit projects based on the public Gen1 designs

Small DRSSTC

Postby loneoceans » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi everyone,

While the oneTesla boards/kits are in the process of being shipped, I had the opportunity to build a DRSSTC based on an older iteration (one of the test boards) of oneTesla. I also built a different enclosure by myself, as well as a hand-made foam toroid wrapped with foil.

Here are the critical specifications. The main electronics are the same as oneTesla:
- 10.5 inch x 2.5 inch secondary. AWG 36.
- 6 turns of AWG 14 primary, 3.5 inch diameter.
- 60N60SMD Halfbridge
- Currently running on a oneTesla MIDI Interrupter (45 to ~150us on time)
- 8 inch x 2.5 inch foam toroid
- Resonant Frequency ~220kHz
- 3kV 68nF 942CDE Tank Capacitor

I'm currently using a borrowed secondary coil. I've just wound a new secondary coil and will install in soon. Right now, I'll be working on a new interrupter with adjustable pulsewidth (independent of MIDI). Attached are photographs of the current coil in action. More construction details to come soon.

Many thanks to Kramnik, Bayley and Heidi for help on construction details, suggestions, tips and of course the oneTesla board/components.
loneoceans
Magnificent MOSFET

Re: Small DRSSTC

Postby Heidi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Checkout loneoceans' other awesome projects here: [url]http://loneoceans.com/labs

I got a picture of the photography setup with which he took the pictures above:

Awesome job!
Heidi
Supreme Leader

Postby loneoceans » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:22 am

Hi everyone,

More updates on my first DRSSTC. I'm still in the process of doing a detailed write up at [link]http://www.loneoceans.com/labs/[/link]. The page for this coil isn't up yet but feel free to check out my other past projects. I'll do my best to get the details up soon.

I've upgraded the coil and now it runs beautifully!

I faced a couple of problems over the past few weeks but I've modified some parts and managed to get the coil working very well! Note some of the main components have been changed from the original oneTesla design.

Important specifications including calcs from JavaTC:

- Max spark length - I don't know yet, does >20" sparks to free air and ground with ~100us on-time. More testing to come soon.
- 222kHz resonant frequency (within 1%)
- 2.4" Diameter PVC Secondary, ~2000 turns of AWG36 for a 10.25" length
- 3.5" Diameter Acrylic Primary, 6 turns of AWG 14 for about 0.8" length
- Single 0.101uF 2kVDC 942C CDE Primary Capacitor
- 340VDC (120VAC rectified and doubled)
- Roughly 100us on-time (in the photos here)
- 2.2" x 8" AmazingOne spun toroid
- Half Bridge of 60N65 IGBTs (seems to be similar to the 60N60 TO247 IGBTs)
- Coupling = 0.22
- Energy Transfer time = 9.87us

Performance has been pretty good. Originally, the coil used a 0.068uF 940C capacitor but that made my primary frequency about 19% too high and I lost a 60N60 half bridge. Increasing the primary to 8 turns of 14AWG (k=0.26) turned out to be a bad idea and I had a lot of racing sparks. After a few more coats of Polyurethane on the secondary, a return to 6 turns of AWG14 and a larger tank cap, the coil is in tune with a performance I'm very happy with.

This coil currently has a tiny built-in 19VDC laptop power supply for the electronics. This allows a single-power cable operation of the entire coil. A separate switch allows me to turn on the bus after the electronics turn on. More photos of the coil in action:

Thanks everyone!
Best Wishes!

- http://www.loneoceans.com/labs/
loneoceans
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby loneoceans » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd share a video of my coil playing Super Mario Brothers. Finally did get around to making a music video recording!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSF8iOVEYJw

For those interested, pulse widths limited to around 80-90us, which is slightly more than 'half power' in terms of the oneTesla interrupter settings.
loneoceans
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Frost273 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:45 pm

I like it. Lovely memories it recalls.
If you could only share super_mario_brothers.mid :)
Frost273
Magnificent MOSFET

Return to Independent Gen1 Builds