Also sprach Zarathustra (and others)

Share your MIDI files here

Also sprach Zarathustra (and others)

Postby stegu » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:12 pm

My first self-made MIDI file, ever. This is fun!
Also sprach Zarathustra, by Richard Strauss, introduction: "sunrise". Tested on my oneTesla, and it plays OK.
I did not have a score for this, and I can barely find my way around on a piano keyboard, so I used a fully orchestrated MIDI version by Jeffrey Scott Abrams as a template. Credit should go to him for the approximate timing of most of the few notes that remain. However, I regard this as my original creation, and hereby release it into the public domain.

This is tested on my oneTesla, and it works fine.

EDIT: Found and fixed a double MIDI event that killed a long note prematurely.
Attachments
zarathustra_onetesla.zip
(729 Bytes) Downloaded 1883 times
Last edited by stegu on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
stegu
Magnificent MOSFET

Thunderstruck

Postby stegu » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:57 pm

And here's a file that sounds quite nice, at least on my coil. I couldn't resist the temptation to do AC/DC:s "Thunderstruck", even though this version of the song is kind of boring, more of an audiovisual demo to show off nice sparks while playing some easily recognizable riffs (if you have ever heard the song, that is). I made the file by hacking and slashing everything except the two guitars from a karaoke version, which already lacked the vocal lead, and removed all chord notes from the rhythm guitar. What's left would need some live singing and percussion, and a live bass player, to be a proper cover version of the song. For reference, the zip file includes the original MIDI file, made by an anonymous contributor to one of the many online MIDI archives.
Attachments
thunderstruck_slashed.zip
(18.28 KiB) Downloaded 1513 times
Last edited by stegu on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
stegu
Magnificent MOSFET

No Limit

Postby stegu » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:46 pm

Now I'm pushing it with my limited musical skills, it seems, but here's a third file. Don't ask me why I picked this particular song. It's annoying, but... catchy, and I found it in a MIDI version that was simple enough for me to edit it.

I don't know if this sounds any good. The MIDI file became less and less enjoyable to listen to with every edit while I removed most notes, meticulously adjusted the remaining ones to eliminate overlaps in time, moved everything to a single channel and transposed a lot to fit it into a limited range of a few octaves. Very low notes sound too faint, so the rhythm bass is actually more of a rhythm baritone, but still. I have not actually tested this on my coil yet, because I have disassembled it to retune it.

EDIT: changed one note that was incorrectly timed and didn't sound.
Attachments
nolimits_onetesla.zip
(5.98 KiB) Downloaded 1461 times
Last edited by stegu on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
stegu
Magnificent MOSFET

The Famous Polka

Postby stegu » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:50 am

A happy little tune for a change: The Famous Polka, by They Might be Giants. Tested on my coil, sounds nice. I even burst out into a happy little dance the first time I played it.

EDIT: Fixed a couple of overlapping notes that interfered with each other.
Attachments
tmbg-famous-polka_onetesla.zip
(1.12 KiB) Downloaded 1526 times
Last edited by stegu on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stegu
Magnificent MOSFET

Toccata and Fugue in D minor

Postby stegu » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:54 am

Bach (or possibly "unknown composer"): Toccata and Fugue in D minor. Posted also in the "Halloween music" thread.

This is a long piece, almost 8 minutes, and two notes are playing more or less constantly, so be careful with running this on full power. Your coil might possibly overheat.
Attachments
bach_toccata-fugue-dmin_onetesla.zip
(5.73 KiB) Downloaded 1545 times
stegu
Magnificent MOSFET

Re: Also sprach Zarathustra (and others)

Postby cheeseman42 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:15 pm

Any more TMBG?
cheeseman42
Rambunctious Relay

Return to MIDI Files