Happy New Year (ABBA)

Share your MIDI files here

Happy New Year (ABBA)

Postby stegu » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:35 pm

After hours of butchering an existing MIDI file (free from an anonymous author), this version should play on a two-note Tesla coil. I haven't tested it yet, but this is not my first MIDI file for the OneTesla interrupter, so I have reasonable confidence that it will work. Happy New Year, everybody!

(Edit: The file worked but sounded terrible, so I deleted it. New version two posts below.)
Last edited by stegu on Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
stegu
Magnificent MOSFET

Re: Happy New Year (ABBA)

Postby stegu » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:20 am

Forget what I said. The file sounds like crap, for several reasons, and is utterly useless. We'll see if I can find the time to fix it today. I have a performance later today where I was hoping to play this, but time is running short...
stegu
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby stegu » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:15 am

Tranposed some stuff up an octave, and moved most of the guitar arpeggios that sounded terrible to channel 1 so they are silent. This is a working file, but it's not as nice an arrangement as I had in mind. What remains is mostly the melody, with some very minor embellishments. This is all I have time to do before midnight, so this is what I am going to perform tonight. Hopefully people will be too drunk on spark-ling wine (pardon the pun) and dazed by the Tesla coil as such to notice that the tune is a bit flat and boring in this version. Perhaps I'll fill in with some Bach afterwards.

Happy New Year, everybody!
Attachments
happynewyear-singlechannel.zip
New version. Please ignore the previous version. It's terrible.
(5.25 KiB) Downloaded 1794 times
stegu
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby stegu » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:43 am

Performance done, with good results. About a thousand people saw and heard it during an organized New Year's scenic walk through the city where I was one of the official attractions along the way. Audience reactions varied between amazement, curiosity, confusion, joy, mild annoyance, outright disbelief and the special kind of feigned indifference you only see from teenagers trying to be cool. All in all, I had a very nice evening.

The only downside was that that I was outdoors, and the new SD card interrupter has an LCD display that stops showing anything at freezing temperatures. I learned that the hard way, and I was pushing buttons blindly for most of the performance. If you are planning on using the SD interrupter outdoors in cold weather, my advice is to keep it warm somehow.
stegu
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Bayley » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:19 am

If you replace the 78L05 with a low-dropout variant that should fix the issue.
Bayley
Lord Protector

Return to MIDI Files