J1 DC jack & J2 fiber receiver don't match the board

Got friendly advice? Post it here!

J1 DC jack & J2 fiber receiver don't match the board

Postby davelamb » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:41 pm

I'm hoping to get some quick help. When installing J1, there are 3 leads but only 2 holes in the board. With J2, the opposite is true - 2 leads with 3 holes on the board. No, I don't have them mixed up. Can someone give me clear instructions on attaching these correctly?
davelamb
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: J1 DC jack & J2 fiber receiver don't match the board

Postby Alex » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:08 pm

two of the 3 leads are connected together on the component. just cut off the lead that doesn't fit in the board.
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby davelamb » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:20 am

I bent the one lead out of the way on the J1, it soldered in perfectly. But, what about the J2? It has 2 leads & three holes, which 2 holes do I use?
davelamb
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby Heidi » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:34 pm

The DC jack is a known problem with the easy fix of cutting off the third prong, but I'm not sure what's wrong with your fiber receiver. Are you confusing it with the transmitter, which has 2 prongs and a blue case?
Heidi
Supreme Leader

Postby davelamb » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:55 pm

I might be, I'll look through my parts one more time to make sure I didn't make that mistake. I'm trying to be slow & methodical & the problem with that is if I see an issue, I stop. Thank you!!
davelamb
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby davelamb » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:56 am

Thank you for your help. In trying to save the hassle of loose parts, I was only opening what I thought I needed to. And, in doing so, assumed that what looked the same from the outside of the packages actually WAS the same. It wasn't. The other jack with foam over the connectors was the correct jack & we are now done with the large board!
davelamb
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Return to Tips and Tricks