Attach the heatsink to the PCB

We're not perfect! What can we change?

Attach the heatsink to the PCB

Postby MadEye » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi,

Since the heatsink is not attached to the PCB its only held ny the IGBTs solder joints. When carrying the Casing it will bounce and stress the solder joints a bit.

I wondered why there is no hole in the pcb to use a screw, since the heat sink even has this threaded path in the right position, but since of all the big pads its probably not possible to make one now.

But maybe at least a little bit of hot glue or a piece of double faced adhesive tape shouldnt harm the electronics and support the heat sink to stay in place.

Anything against this?
MadEye
Rambunctious Relay

Re: Attach the heatsink to the PCB

Postby stegu » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:43 am

Glue would not be good for servicing, and hot-melt glue would not be enough. The heat sink can get pretty hot during operation. However, nylon screws could possibly withstand the heat, and not require more than two clean holes through the board. I don' t know enough of the PCB design to say whether it is advisable to drill those holes or not.
stegu
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Bayley » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:11 am

You're going to be punching holes in the bus if you're not careful, check the Eagle files if you want to drill.
The serrations in the heatsink aren't really threads as far as I can tell.
Bayley
Lord Protector

Postby paullions » Fri May 09, 2014 11:38 am

Thick double-sided tape works perfectly for me! Still after demounting the heatsink several times.
paullions
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Return to Suggestions