Robustness of the kit

We're not perfect! What can we change?

Robustness of the kit

Postby bytecode77 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:35 pm

The oneTesla kit is not very robust at all! You have to be especially careful with the top and bottom caps of the secondary coil, because one wrong move - and they break off!

It's really annoying. You should offer some sort of secondary coil with caps and the screws already attached so they don't fall off every time I move her from one room to another.

Edit: Just look at this particular part of the oneTeslaTS Video. What glue where they using??
bytecode77
Magnificent MOSFET

Re: Robustness of the kit

Postby Alex » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:50 pm

I believe the end caps are secured with three screws

You just need to make sure your hot glue makes a good bond between the two pieces, and make sure that you are using quality hot glue. Some cheap glue is brittle and can crack.

I just put a bead of glue on the edge of the cap and heat it over a stove so that it is all heated evenly and then press it on to the PVC, and then add another fillet where the PVC and end cap meet. I havent had it break since and i can swing it around and hold it upside down.
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby bytecode77 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:00 pm

Swinging it around? I can't even stare at it without making it fall off.

What three screws are you talking about? The secondary coil is a tube with glued acryl glass caps. Yes, there is one screw through the middle, but that's not fixating the secondary. It's just the wire connection.

I use quality hot glue and I even tried super glue today with no success. Though, I glued the super glue over the hot glue residues. I ordered a new secondary coil and I will try super glue. But I'm not expecting to be able to toss her around and have sex with her and not making the caps fall off.
bytecode77
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Alex » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:25 pm

lol

just kidding the oneTeslaTS's end caps are held on with hot glue. though there's layers of acrylic stacked together that forms a cap that goes into the PVC tube and also has a lip that meets with the edge of the PVC, so there's more surface area to glue.

with my larger coils I've made 3/4" end caps out of wood that go into the PVC tube, and it's held in by 3 nylon screws that go into the side of the PVC pipe and into the wood end caps. I've thought about doing the same on the oneTesla but there's just not enough room.
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby bytecode77 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:28 pm

I guess I posted in the wrong forum anyway. Giving this as feedback probably won't result in them releasing a robust secondary coil for us.

Is there any workaround I can fix this with screws or anything non-glueish? Anything that won't break?
bytecode77
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Alex » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:33 pm

perhaps if you made a 3/4" thick or so wood plug that fit inside the PVC pipe snugly you could hot glue it and it would be extremely strong. just drill a hole in the middle and tightly screw in the screw into the wood. I'd drill a hole about halfway deep in the wood so that the screw head would sit inside the wood, and then cover the hole with hot glue to reduce corona on that screwhead which could cause arcing inside the secondary.
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby bytecode77 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:35 pm

Sounds reasonable to me.

But I'm not capable of making wood pieces like that one. If only I had a 3D printer...
bytecode77
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Alex » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:36 pm

lol printing something like that would take quite a while, maybe 3 hours.
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby Alex » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:37 pm

but now that you mention it, I might try it.

I'll back to you on that.
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby bytecode77 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:40 pm

You're one of the lucky ones that own a 3D printer, or are there any services for that?

PS. This is what I imagine a decent cap (from side and from front view):

Attachments
example.png
(2.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bytecode77
Magnificent MOSFET

Next

Return to Suggestions