Error and suggestions

We're not perfect! What can we change?

Error and suggestions

Postby JimKirk » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:16 pm

The silk screen on the board lists the 5 volt regulator as IC6 and the 15 volts as IC5.
The instructions have the reference designators reversed. Page 26, step 17

Also, the red LED looks like the 15 volt indicator and 5 volts is blue, contrary to the instructions, page 25 step 7

Also, R6 is listed as 560 ohms on page 24, not the included 470 ohms.

Also, I found the spacing for the 1/4 watt resistors very tight. Bending the leads to fit could lead to reliability issues. Another 0.1 inch would be welcome.

Finally, I'd suggest heat relieving the power and ground connections for components. I had to break out my BIG soldering iron and use a more aggressive (but electronics grade) flux.

Other than that, the build is proceeding apace and I look forward to first light!
JimKirk
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: Error and suggestions

Postby Bayley » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:05 pm

Thanks for pointing out the errors! (and patiently bearing with us as we work out the typos and such) The latest manual (available for download) fixes some of these.
The resistor spacing is indeed tight - we haven't had reliability issues with bending the leads sharply yet.
The lack of thermals on the ground plane is an active choice, since right under the Tesla coil is a noisy environment and we wanted to keep the impedances as low as possible.
Bayley
Lord Protector

Return to Suggestions