The only obvious song - Ride the Lightning by Metallica

Share your MIDI files here

The only obvious song - Ride the Lightning by Metallica

Postby dmicek » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:13 pm

I could only get 1 channel to work, and it cuts off after about 2 minutes. I will keep playing with it to see if I can figure out how to get some drums going, and perhaps the whole song. Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/iMpvkEiKe7Y

EDIT: I reworked the MIDI file to make better use of the guitar and bass harmonies. Got rid of drums altogether - I don't think drums are possible. I still can't get the whole song, this time cuts around 1:45. The linked video is using first version of the file.

EDIT: Ok- really learned a lot about OMD files. I split my MIDI file up into 7 different sections because the OMDconvert utility will only process 2000 midi events, and with this song I hit that wall in under 2 minutes. So I split the midi into about 1 minute sections. Then I converted each one into OMD. Then the tricky part... Joining the 7 OMD files into a single OMD. I used a HEX editor and figured out the first 4 bytes of the file tells how long (in milliseconds) the song is. I used the -v flag with omdconvert.exe for verbose output of the file conversion. That shows each midi event and how many milliseconds into the song the event is. So I checked the last file and found out the last midi event of the song happens at 390005 milliseconds (6.5 minutes) which is 05 F3 75 in HEX so I stuck that at the beginning of the file. Then I simply copied and pasted the other OMD files end to end, remembering to exclude the first 4 bytes of each of the other files. I was getting some weird time gaps wherever I joined the files for 10-20 seconds or so, then the song would continue. I noticed byte 50 tells the note to turn on and byte 40 turns it off, but the very last midi note doesn't use byte 40 to turn off - it's just 00. So I found every spot where I joined the files together and replaced the 00 at the end with 40. Unfortunately, my coil died just as I was about to test this latest version. Can someone please test it and let me know if it plays all the way through without strange gaps every minute or so?
Attachments
RideTheLightning.zip
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 2418 times
Last edited by dmicek on Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
dmicek
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: The only obvious song - Ride the Lightning by Metallica

Postby E.TexasTesla » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:30 pm

Hell Yeah !
Really needs some low cords.
E.TexasTesla
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby dmicek » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:11 pm

Ok- really learned a lot about OMD files. I split my MIDI file up into 7 different sections because the OMDconvert utility will only process 2000 midi events, and with this song I hit that wall in under 2 minutes. So I split the midi into about 1 minute sections. Then I converted each one into OMD. Then the tricky part... Joining the 7 OMD files into a single OMD. I used a HEX editor and figured out the first 4 bytes of the file tells how long (in milliseconds) the song is. I used the -v flag with omdconvert.exe for verbose output of the file conversion. That shows each midi event and how many milliseconds into the song the event is. So I checked the last file and found out the last midi event of the song happens at 390005 milliseconds (6.5 minutes) which is 05 F3 75 in HEX so I stuck that at the beginning of the file. Then I simply copied and pasted the other OMD files end to end, remembering to exclude the first 4 bytes of each of the other files. I was getting some weird time gaps wherever I joined the files for 10-20 seconds or so, then the song would continue. I noticed byte 50 tells the note to turn on and byte 40 turns it off, but the very last midi note doesn't use byte 40 to turn off - it's just 00. So I found every spot where I joined the files together and replaced the 00 at the end with 40. Unfortunately, my coil died just as I was about to test this latest version. Can someone please test it and let me know if it plays all the way through without strange gaps every minute or so? Version 3 of the OMD file is in the first post.
dmicek
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby dmicek » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:14 am

Alright... I finally was able to string the different OMD files together into one file without strange gaps in the song. I'll also link in the top of the thread. Maybe someday I'll post a new video with the completed song.
Attachments
RideTheLightning.zip
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 2275 times
dmicek
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Return to MIDI Files