14AWG Wire Type

We're not perfect! What can we change?

14AWG Wire Type

Postby cheeseman42 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:42 pm

Hey this is just a small and simple suggestion.

The kit I got has 14AWG THHN wire. Why not use 14AWG MTW wire instead? It is so much easier to work with and cheaper. This is what I used to rewind my primary today and it was so much more friendly.
cheeseman42
Rambunctious Relay

Re: 14AWG Wire Type

Postby ican » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:58 pm

My new primary winding will be 36 gauge twisted on itself enough times to make it the same diameter as 10AWG... Since each individual strand is insulated from each other strand, except at the ends, and since it's the diameter of 10AWG, it is capable of carrying more current without heating up... It actually stays just above room temperature at full power on another coil, which is why I decided to do it as well... It's something to look into for future kits.... prewinding and soldering the ends of 34 or 36 gauge magnet wire for a primary coil...
ican
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Bayley » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:21 am

ican wrote:My new primary winding will be 36 gauge twisted on itself enough times to make it the same diameter as 10AWG... Since each individual strand is insulated from each other strand, except at the ends, and since it's the diameter of 10AWG, it is capable of carrying more current without heating up... It actually stays just above room temperature at full power on another coil, which is why I decided to do it as well... It's something to look into for future kits.... prewinding and soldering the ends of 34 or 36 gauge magnet wire for a primary coil...

Sadly Litz wire is far beyond the acceptable price range for the stock kit.
Bayley
Lord Protector

Postby ican » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:11 am

Very true Bayley... I decided to temporarily go with 12AWG instead of Litz wire for that very reason... I just can't afford 30 feet of Litz wire that matches 10AWG. =) After 20 minutes of full power runs of Dueling Banjos, my 12AWG primary was about the same temperature as my friend's Litz 10AWG primary, I think 12AWG would be cost effective, and is far more heat tolerant than the 14AWG that comes in the kit.
ican
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Bayley » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:59 am

ican wrote:Very true Bayley... I decided to temporarily go with 12AWG instead of Litz wire for that very reason... I just can't afford 30 feet of Litz wire that matches 10AWG. =) After 20 minutes of full power runs of Dueling Banjos, my 12AWG primary was about the same temperature as my friend's Litz 10AWG primary, I think 12AWG would be cost effective, and is far more heat tolerant than the 14AWG that comes in the kit.

If the Litz wire was properly braided, then it should perform significantly better than 12AWG. The skin depth in copper at 300KHz is much less than the diameter of even 14AWG, so increasing the core size of solid wire should not affect efficiency much.
Bayley
Lord Protector

Return to Suggestions