Got it working (not tuned)

Show off your finished kit here!

Got it working (not tuned)

Postby martijn89 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:10 pm

It works, not tuned but still, it works. I am not so happy with the oscilloscope i bought (second hand for only €30) so i did not tune it yet.

I'l take some time next week to get it done with my signal generator and partly working oscilloscope. If i get to tired i will probably buy some cheap just functional enough digital oscilloscope.

first midi run with counterpoise, half power

Fixed mode half power.

I hope the quieter parts can be resolved by tuning.

I ran it at full power for a milisec, instant secondary flashover but still working..
martijn89
Rambunctious Relay

Re: Got it working (not tuned)

Postby martijn89 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:33 am

Midi 75% power

Was quite light in the video so you don't see the end of the streamers, i had a lot of trouble varnishing, bubbling, wrinkles ant parts where it would just not flow like it was a hydrophobic surface. So i sanded the whole thing i even lost some of the red enamel on the wire, broke one end off with all troubles. But got it working better then ever and i still have 3 layers to go. I get slight flash-over on low notes and when i forgot to unplug laptop while running midi:
martijn89
Rambunctious Relay

Postby bomber315 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:23 pm

if you wrap the midi cable in aluminum foil and plug your laptop into a different circuit, you wont need to unplug it...
bomber315
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby martijn89 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:01 am

Already wrapped in foil, helped some what but i think my laptop is just very sensitive, at that location i only have one phase. Would a isolation transformer help? (ether on the tesla with a separate ground or on laptop ungrounded?).

I suspect isolating my laptop is more effective than isolating the coil due to the mains wires in the wooden wall/ceiling acting as antennas being the main source of my midi disruptions. Also every powered speaker around makes the same tune as the coil, quite annoying and funny.

Most of this will probably be solved when i get better grounding than this counter poise and 200m+ ground wire from mains.
martijn89
Rambunctious Relay

Postby bomber315 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:13 am

i honestly don't know the answer you looking for... all i know is the foil works great for me :?
bomber315
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Freebee » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:36 pm

Not tuned? If you get streamers to ground when using half power in fixed frequency, that is quite impressive.
Freebee
Terrific Tube

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits