Homebrew SD Interrupter on strip-board

Show off your finished kit here!

Homebrew SD Interrupter on strip-board

Postby grumpygasbag » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:30 am

Knocked up a strip-board version of the oneTesla SD Interrupter, the main differences being the use of an Arduino microSD card reader module and a contrast pot for the LCD. The rest of it is essentially the same as the original circuit. Using the microSD module eliminates the need for the 4050 chip in the original circuit, saving space and making construction a lot easier.

IMG_1613.jpg
(88.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet

The various photos below show how it was put together with the ATMega328 and its support circuitry under the LCD, a 10k pot for the contrast, a jumper (to the right of the pot) to disconnect MISO/DO from the microSD card module during ISP programming (it won't work otherwise) and a 4xAAA battery holder mounted about 3mm above the board with the microSD card module underneath it. The underside of the board includes a surface mount low-dropout regulator (AMS1117).

IMG_1614.jpg
(72.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet

IMG_1615.jpg
(66.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet

IMG_1616.jpg
(56.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet

IMG_1617.jpg
(131.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet

IMG_1618.jpg
(80.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet

IMG_1619.jpg
(86.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet

IMG_1620.jpg
(64.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by grumpygasbag on Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
grumpygasbag
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: Homebrew SD Interrupter on strip-board

Postby grumpygasbag » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:05 pm

Here it is working in SD file mode...

Watch on youtube.com

And in Live mode...

Watch on youtube.com

And in SD mode connected to the tinyTesla...

Watch on youtube.com
grumpygasbag
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby E.TexasTesla » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:50 pm

Nice work. Very compact.
For some reason I always had trouble with strip boards.
I guess my brain is wired different. :lol:
E.TexasTesla
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby grumpygasbag » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:58 am

Thanks!

Yep, all my neurons go in straight lines :ugeek:

The piece of board is 98x95mm (34 strips wide and 37 holes high). It took quite a bit of planning to get it to fit onto a board that size but I was determined to make it not much bigger than the original. It required a few wires to be run out from under the 328, and a couple of links to be made on the underside as well, but I'm very pleased with the result, even if it isn't quite as pretty as the original.

Here's a photo of the drawing I made. There might have been a few minor adjustments as I went along.

IMG_1622.jpg
(93.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet

A version could also be made using a standard Arduino SD card reader module, instead of the microSD version, and I've actually done this during the planning stage when I was trying it all out on an Arduino Uno. The advantage of this would be the ready availability of low capacity SD cards (most people have old SD camera cards lying around), and it may help solve the problems people have been having trying to find 2Gb microSD cards. However, the cheap SD card reader modules available online do not work properly without modification (the cheap microSD modules do work fine without mods). If anyone wants to do that, let me know and I can tell you what's required, but it's a pretty simple fix using three signal diodes and a resistor only.
grumpygasbag
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby grumpygasbag » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:27 am

And here it is again, playing Popcorn...

Watch on youtube.com
grumpygasbag
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby Frost273 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:07 am

Cool! Really cool.
Looks difficult to build but also looks neat and tidy.

You got my respect :)
Frost273
Magnificent MOSFET

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits