How long to build?

General topics forum; please ensure your post follows the forum rules.

How long to build?

Postby mkrlab » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:04 pm

Hi everyone!

I am fairly well experienced with electronic assembly (have made my own boards, built some fairly complicated boards from schematics) and I have someone who is asking if I can assemble a oneTesla Ts for them...

I know the question is difficult to answer, but what is an approximate build time for this item?

Don't want to commit to it with out some idea of how long it might take...

Many thanks,

Dan
mkrlab
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: How long to build?

Postby Bayley » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:49 pm

On the low end, I can do it in about 3 hours, but I designed the coil so its probably not a fair comparison...
Bayley
Lord Protector

Postby jpendric » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:44 am

You can likely assemble all the electronics in a day.

The most time consuming is assembling the secondary coil, since you have to glue parts together and varnish it. This will take a couple of days, for no other reason than applying/recoating/drying of the varnish will take a day. The proper assembly of the secondary is crucial, as (based on the forum posts) it appears secondary flashover due to less than optimal assembly is the leading cause of unsuccessful build attempts.

There are lots of posts on tips for building the secondary coil, it is worth your time to review some of them.
jpendric
Rambunctious Relay

Postby Scrat » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:49 am

Took a day for the Gen1 coil (not counting the varnichting of the secondary coil) including testing and running.
Electrical engineer. No fair competition either.
Scrat
Rambunctious Relay

Return to Anything else for discussion?