I have FINALLY built and tested my Gen 1 kit: Success!

Show off your finished kit here!

I have FINALLY built and tested my Gen 1 kit: Success!

Postby ko5v » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:16 pm

I bought this kit in 2014... :oops:

The initial build went very well, and after a few teething pains (see below), it works great, with big streamers (~20") and it is very loud! I have had no failures during several hours of operation, and it's been a real hit with everyone who has seen it. Here are a few observations:

When testing the low-voltage control circuitry, I never heard any "buzzing" from the drive circuitry - it's probably my hearing. Since the scope traces looked like the pictures in the manual, I kept plugging along.

I had some initial problems that were causing the interrupter to lock up after ~30 seconds. Shielding the MIDI cable and control box with aluminum foil, and moving it and the computer as far away as the fiber would allow solved the noise problem. I'll eventually get a better MIDI/USB cable.

I was a bit too neat when varnishing the secondary with a spray can, so I did have a few arcs. Slathering on another 3 coats of varnish with a brush, removing the primary spacers, and taping the primary solved that problem.

For the ground plane, I am using three sheets of Al foil, clipped together at their ends with large paper clips. It is attached to the coil by an alligator clip lead soldered to the central grounding point on the back of the 120V input socket.

The only time I wiped out any components was by plugging the low-voltage supply's output into the PC board when the wall wart was unplugged (for over 24 hrs!). It drew a large spark, and the blue and red LEDs flashed briefly as the two voltage regulators died. I now make sure that the wall wart is grounded by plugging it in to a plugged in switched outlet strip. It hasn't happened again.

The final thing has to do with improving the mechanical design of the way the secondary transformer attaches to its ends. I've broken it twice during moves - it seems that epoxy doesn't like the PVC the secondary is wound on.

Anyway, it's a great kit, and has been a lot of fun to build. Now I just have to learn how to edit MIDI files...

Jim
Last edited by ko5v on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ko5v
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: I have FINALLY built and tested my Gen 1 kit: Success!

Postby E.TexasTesla » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:09 pm

congratulations !

Always fun to fire up a new coil. Even if it's 8 years old . :D
E.TexasTesla
Magnificent MOSFET

Re: I have FINALLY built and tested my Gen 1 kit: Success!

Postby ko5v » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:18 pm

E.TexasTesla wrote:congratulations !

Always fun to fire up a new coil. Even if it's 8 years old . :D

Hey, it's only FOUR years old! ;)

Thanks!
ko5v
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Return to Completed oneTesla Kits