Yet another OneTesla w/o kit

Non-kit projects based on the public Gen1 designs

Re: Yet another OneTesla w/o kit

Postby loneoceans » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:07 am

Frost273 wrote:I tried to run my OneTesla with the secondary coil I had made at first (with 1800 turns) and I got some flashovers.
The question is can I use duct tape instead of revarnishing with polyurethane?

What are your primary coil dimensions like? If you're having flashover problems, might be a good idea to lower the primary to reduce coupling slightly, which will help a great deal and not change the frequencies too much. I recall the last time you were planning to use 8 turns? That's too much for the oneTesla design and your insulation isn't going to work or be reliable. I'd pass using any sort of tape. A simple wrap using clear plastic sheeting or transparency will work well while looking a bit nicer. For me, I think of the varnish simply as a way to keep to windings protected and together. A well designed coil should run fine without excessive secondary insulation.
loneoceans
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Frost273 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:44 am

As I mentioned earlier my primary is 90mm diameter and I decreased it to 6 windings. Also I made another topload with smaller dimensions (about 14cm outer diameter and 6 cm high) and put to use my first built coil with 1800 turns.

If to rely on JavaTC calculations the frequencies are 270 kHz for the primary and 290 kHz for the secondary.
Got to mention I like my Tesla coil tuner (I can share my routed circuit board in Eagle CAD if needed) it estimates that resonant frequencies are quite similar but the secondary's is slightly higher.

Some more of video results:
OneTesla - Benny Hill
OneTesla - Badinerie
OneTesla - Pirates of the Carribean

Cannot go higher then 60% of power. Experiencing flashovers.
MOAR ISOLATION!
Frost273
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Alex » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:29 pm

move your primary down 1/2 an inch and see if it goes away
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby Alex » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:05 am

Also make sure your secondary is centered in the primary
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby Speedy78 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:52 am

Why does that sound slow to me? Yeah you probably have to high a k factor and need to move the primary down. If you run all your demensiins in java it should give you an estimate of your coupling factor (K)
Speedy78
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Frost273 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:10 am

Finally I got my coil boxed up. As to me it looks stylish :mrgreen:

Image_______Image

Image_Image

Happy incoming New Year to everyone!

Also I've been working on a new year present for a good friend of mine. I'll just leave the video here (click on picture below).
The idea is the same as the heart you could have seen in the earliest of my posts. Just the position and color of LEDs differs. I can share schematics (honestly they have to be improved) if anyone got interested.

1.png
(106.64 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Last edited by Frost273 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frost273
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Frost273 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:24 am

What I have found today is
1) That the Coil does not like to stay unplayed for the extended periods of time. It breaks her heart wherever it is or any other parts at will.
2) That broken in unuderstandable way UCC37321(22)s will make the fuse to blow itself up on startup.
3) That whenever voltage regulators starting to heat up - there's a problem either with 74HTSs or with UCCs.
4) That 7m optic cable is too long to let the signal path.
5) That discharged 9v battery can become a pain in the ass.
6) That there's no such thing as "full power". It limits only to the appearance of flashovers. And that the replacement of the optical transmitter with th one with higher output, or the optical receiver with higher sensitivity one, or both, opens the path to greater performance.

Are there any ways to check UCC without putting it into the board?

UPD 05.Oct.2014: How stupid I was with my conclusions.. without knowing what was happening in the circuit indeed.
Last edited by Frost273 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frost273
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Alex » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:49 pm

you could try probing pins in the diode test function mode on your dmm, but I've done it before and they still turned out to be faulty. so idk, just throw them in your board and hope that it doesn't heat up/turn it off asap when it does? (make sure you have your 7474 and 7414 in as well) then just see if the get buzzes
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby Frost273 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:24 am

Nice idea, Alex.
Turn the interrupter ON in fixed mode. Put all microchips on there places and give the power to the low voltage side for a short period of time. Then if buzzing - they are alive, but still should check for overheating.

When 74HCTs are not on their places the LM7805 overheats.
When UCC's malfunctioning - LM7815 does the same.
Frost273
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Alex » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:23 am

Not sure if this is just me, but once I forgot to unplug my board before taking out the 7474 and then my ucc's exploded

Also 7m fiber cable is too long??
Alex
Incredible IGBT

PreviousNext

Return to Independent Gen1 Builds