SSTC from half-a-oneTesla + SSTC Design Guide!

Non-kit projects based on the public Gen1 designs

SSTC from half-a-oneTesla + SSTC Design Guide!

Postby loneoceans » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share a side project I did over the course of a weekend (actually it turned out to take two), building a normal Solid State Tesla Coil (not DRSSTC) using half of an old revision of the oneTesla PCB board. If you look carefully at the board, half of it contains the logic for the driver, and the other half contains the half-bridge.

I wanted to make a simple normal SSTC, so I made my own driver on a perfboard and used half of the PCB for the half bridge section. I then placed everything inside an old ATX power supply box. The coil now runs beautifully with an integrated Attiny85 as an interrupter.

For those interested, I have written up what I hope is a reasonably detailed guide to designing an SSTC. Check it out here: http://loneoceans.com/labs/sstc2/. I hope to continually improve it and write one up for DRSSTCs. However, many of the points inside the page are also very relevant to DRSSTC operation.

See my other DRSSTC builds on http://www.loneoceans.com/labs/.

The specs of the coil are as follows:
- 120VAC input
- 249kHz Secondary Resonant Frequency
- Half Bridge of Fairchild HGTG30N60A4D IGBTs
- Spark Length to air ~8.3" (01 Nov 2013)

Just thought it was fun to see how the oneTesla board can also be used to create new life! :)
loneoceans
Magnificent MOSFET

Re: SSTC from half-a-oneTesla + SSTC Design Guide!

Postby DJKOR » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:34 pm

That is impressive. Such great detail on your website as well about all of it. I must say though, seeing such high attention to detail in your build there is what typically turned me away from the idea of building a Tesla coil in the first place. Having built the oneTesla, it starts to make a little more sense however you have really taken it to the next level. It's good to have others on here though like yourself that are able to provide this type of information to us to help us all understand it a little more.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=998 | 246kHz Primary / 267kHz Secondary
DJKOR
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Speedy78 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:15 pm

That is such a beautiful build! Its things like that I have in my mind but can never seem to make pretty when I build it
Speedy78
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Tetsula » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:58 pm

I am deeply impressed by your beautiful picture. Combination of the purple spark, red coil, and blue LED is also good.
Do you make these wonderful things as a hobby?
Tetsula
Terrific Tube

Postby loneoceans » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Tetsula wrote:I am deeply impressed by your beautiful picture. Combination of the purple spark, red coil, and blue LED is also good.
Do you make these wonderful things as a hobby?

Thanks! I actually bought some special 'aqua' LEDs for use in a project and I'm happy I could finally put them to good use. They look more green in real life, though. Yes I build these coils for fun as a hobby :).

Another photo with a big light bulb!

loneoceans
Magnificent MOSFET

Return to Independent Gen1 Builds