Halloween music HELP needed.

Share your MIDI files here

Halloween music HELP needed.

Postby E.TexasTesla » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Do you guys have any halloween midi files?
I have been asked to setup a tesla at our local haunted house but the only music I have is what I wrote
for my basic stamp driven sstc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HTlV4FzBHE

Thanks.
E.TexasTesla
Magnificent MOSFET

Re: Halloween music HELP needed.

Postby stegu » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:57 am

Here's the short theme from "Dracula" which I just tweaked for the oneTesla. Tested, sounds OK on my coil. I will shamelessly steal your idea and put my own oneTesla on display playing eerie tunes on our balcony on Halloween. Should attract a reasonable crowd, I hope.
Attachments
dracula_onetesla.zip
(984 Bytes) Downloaded 1556 times
stegu
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Alex » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:39 am

Toccata and fugue? (:
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby stegu » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:47 am

Too good idea to pass on, that one. Here it is.

Bach is probably spinning in his grave (if he wrote this - there is actually some dispute over that), because there were quite a few sustained notes, massive chords and subtle harmonies that just had to go, but this version is still very much recognizeable, I think. This is the entire piece, almost 8 minutes, with two notes playing more or less all the time, so be careful and check your temperature if you plan to run this on full power. I have only tested it at half power, but that went without mishaps and sounded OK to my untrained ears.

I'm gradually getting the hang of this, and it's fun, but it still takes me quite a bit of time to edit these files. I spent the full two hours since your post doing this, even though this was a particularly nice and easy file to edit.
Attachments
bach_toccata-fugue-dmin_onetesla.zip
(5.73 KiB) Downloaded 1616 times
stegu
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby E.TexasTesla » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks guys. Should be an exciting Halloween for a lot of new tesla coil owners.
E.TexasTesla
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Alex » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:26 pm

stegu do you have the original file?

i cant seem to find the full version :/
Alex
Incredible IGBT

Postby stegu » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:36 am

I found this version on classicalarchives.com. It follows the score quite accurately, as far as I can see. The MIDI file was an unattributed, free download, so I think I'm not doing anything wrong by including it here.

If you find a less crippling way of slashing this into a duophonic version, please resubmit it here. Deciding on what to keep was far from easy in a number of places. The composer did not envision anyone attempting to play this with just two fingers instead of with ten fingers and two feet.
Attachments
565_tocf.zip
(6.11 KiB) Downloaded 1503 times
stegu
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby stegu » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:01 pm

Here's a fairly complex little piece: the theme from "Beetlejuice" by Danny Elfman. For those of us who are old enough to remember the movie, it's a good song for a haunted house, but it might be a little too upbeat to go down as "scary" with the kids.

To make this, I basically butchered a full orchestral arrangement with several polyphonic channels to create something that fits the limited capabilities of the oneTesla. (Danny Elfman is still alive, so at least he won't come back and haunt me over it.) There are both some pretty low and some pretty high notes in there, but there's nothing above a''' (1760 Hz), most of the melody is in the range c' to c''', and it plays well on my coil. There are very few places in the file where there are not two notes sounding at the same time, but it's only two minutes long, so it probably won't overheat a well tuned coil even on full power. My coil is a little out of tune right now, and I have not tested this file above half power.
Attachments
beetlejuice-onetesla.zip
(7.6 KiB) Downloaded 1745 times
stegu
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby stegu » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:15 pm

I would like to see a MIDI file that makes use of the pitch bend capabilities of the interrupter to make something that sounds like a classic "scary movie" Theremin soundtrack. That, i think, would make a perfect haunted house theme. Way beyond my meager skills, though.
stegu
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby DJKOR » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:38 am

stegu wrote:Here's a fairly complex little piece: the theme from "Beetlejuice" by Danny Elfman. For those of us who are old enough to remember the movie, it's a good song for a haunted house, but it might be a little too upbeat to go down as "scary" with the kids.

To make this, I basically butchered a full orchestral arrangement with several polyphonic channels to create something that fits the limited capabilities of the oneTesla. (Danny Elfman is still alive, so at least he won't come back and haunt me over it.) There are both some pretty low and some pretty high notes in there, but there's nothing above a''' (1760 Hz), most of the melody is in the range c' to c''', and it plays well on my coil. There are very few places in the file where there are not two notes sounding at the same time, but it's only two minutes long, so it probably won't overheat a well tuned coil even on full power. My coil is a little out of tune right now, and I have not tested this file above half power.

To show my appreciation stegu, I ran this one for you... and myself :D

http://youtu.be/ywhriFRB210

That was so far the longest full power run that I have done on my coil. The primary did get quite hot after that run. It was hot enough to make the bits of hot glue that holds the wire in place a bit tacky. That means the primary got to about 85 to 100 degrees Celsius. I'm leaning more towards the lower end of that figure because I was able to keep my fingers on the primary without feeling them burn. Still though, hot nevertheless.

Edit: Also ran this one. Chose a different camera angle for a change:

http://youtu.be/J1CeyVDcJgs
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=998 | 246kHz Primary / 267kHz Secondary
DJKOR
Magnificent MOSFET

Next

Return to MIDI Files