How to make onetesla friendly MIDI files?

Share your MIDI files here

How to make onetesla friendly MIDI files?

Postby Fiddy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Hey,

Ive downloaded MidiEditor and FL Studio Demo and cant figure out how to make a channel ive isolated into channel 1?

Thats all i need to do right?

If someone could give me some advice or extra things i need to do that would be great too.

CHeers! Mitch.
Pico SGTC
Nano SSTC
Audio Modulated SSTC
Audio Modulated Bipolar SSTC
TinyTesla SSTC
Onetesla TS DRSSTC
OneTesla DRSSTC
EVR MicroBrute DRSSTC
Fiddy
Terrific Tube

Re: How to make onetesla friendly MIDI files?

Postby Moors7 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:06 am

Hello,
I have no personal experience with FL Studio, but I'm sure there's a hidden option somewhere to accomplish that. For editing my files I mostly used AvilStudio, which lets you edit the channels easily, and has a piano roll editor as well.
When you say you've isolated a channel, do you mean you've just disabled all other tracks, or have you actually manually checked the track. This is relevant because you can only play a maximum of two notes at any given time. Playing more notes than that won't harm your coil, but it will seriously mess up your song. That's the very reason it's so time consuming to make songs for a tesla coil; you have to check every damn track manually...
Anyways, good luck, and let us know if you need any more help!
~Jordy
Take a look at my website for oneTesla compatible MIDI files. Enjoy.
Moors7
Terrific Tube

Postby ican » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:38 am

Making oneTesla-safe midi files in midieditor is actually pretty easy and straightforward once you get the hang of the controls... The first thing you should do when you load up a new midi file is use the vertical zoom out tool to get all the channels on screen. Horizontal zoom is far less important, because you will end up with too many notes on the screen at once.

In songs where more than one instrument switches on and off for the melody, keep both channels visible, and when you see the melody switch between instruments, click-drag-select those notes, and in the edit menu, move them to whichever channel your main melody is on. When you're finished with moving the notes you want, and have no more than 2 notes playing at any time, hide the channels you want to keep, unhide all the others, edit, select all visible elements, and remove selected elements to leave you with only the notes you want in the song. It is a good idea to keep the bass track so you have two notes playing all the time.

At this point, unhide your channels, select all visible again, and move selected elements to channel 0. Change the midi output to MIDI 2.0 if you haven't already, and test the song on low power to make sure nothing goes wrong. You can play continuously at low power if your coil is stable... You'll start to see where you made any mistakes in notation as the song plays, and correct it as you go.

When you get more experienced in midieditor, you'll start running the whole song through the coil from the start, and move things into channel 0 as you go... Its pretty hard to mess it up, but if you do happen to dump something you didn't want to, Ctrl+Z works to undo mistakes... Just be careful you don't hit it too many times, as it will erase all your progress in one click occasionally.

I have final fantasy 7 battle theme, Pokemon red/blue/yellow battle theme, pokemon cartoon theme, and I'm working on stairway to heaven now... II'll post them later when I open up my laptop.
Last edited by ican on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ican
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Frost273 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:13 pm

For MIDI editing I would prefer REAPER instead of FL-stduio.
Because to my opinion its interface is more user-friendly. It has included MIDI-editor, which opens on double-click on a midi channel.

If to compare, in FL-studio I could do nothing and had no clue what to do. In REAPER everything was quite intuitive.

Don't want to propogate bad things, but you can find it on torrents.
Cheers ;)
Frost273
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Fiddy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:41 pm

Ok dudes thanks for the tips!

i tried anvil studio and i think im on the money, attached is my favorite song atm that i converted.. tell me if i did it correctly!
Attachments
Daft Punk - Get Lucky.zip
(688 Bytes) Downloaded 1407 times
Pico SGTC
Nano SSTC
Audio Modulated SSTC
TinyTesla SSTC
Onetesla TS DRSSTC
OneTesla DRSSTC
EVR MicroBrute DRSSTC
Fiddy
Terrific Tube

Postby Speedy78 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Sounds good. I see the coil as more of a lead instrument though. Its really hard to play chorus type songs. You cant get the depth required imo.
Speedy78
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Fiddy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Yeah right in most situations, depends on the application the user has for it!

heres another one i did, bit repetitive but people will pick the tone up, let me know if its alright.
Attachments
Benny Benassi - Satisfaction.zip
(568 Bytes) Downloaded 1382 times
Pico SGTC
Nano SSTC
Audio Modulated SSTC
TinyTesla SSTC
Onetesla TS DRSSTC
OneTesla DRSSTC
EVR MicroBrute DRSSTC
Fiddy
Terrific Tube

Postby Speedy78 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:39 pm

Ha! Veey nice! I will download that one for sure and give it a go. When I get the time I'm going to attempt some of my favorite guitar solos. Probably easier for me to play than turn into a tesla coil midi file but who knows. I may be able to figure it out.

Keep the midi's coming! :)
Speedy78
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Speedy78 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:05 pm

Its at a distance so its not too spectacular but it runs smoothly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUays_T ... e=youtu.be
Speedy78
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Fiddy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:55 pm

haha that is fucking awesome! thanks for testing it :D

heres another, dedicated to lightning and thunder.
Attachments
ACDC - Thunderstruck.zip
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 1466 times
Pico SGTC
Nano SSTC
Audio Modulated SSTC
TinyTesla SSTC
Onetesla TS DRSSTC
OneTesla DRSSTC
EVR MicroBrute DRSSTC
Fiddy