ican's multi-track midi's

Share your MIDI files here

ican's multi-track midi's

Postby ican » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:33 am

So, since I have this odd habit of making midi tracks with multiple tracks on a single channel, it means they can be played on multiple coils. Some are made for 2 coils, and some are made for up to 4 coils... Right now I have access to 3 coils, so that's the highest number I will purposely program for in a single song. If there are more than 3 tracks, it's accidental. Just remember that unless I say so in the filename, all of these midi files are capable of being played on a single oneTesla. Multiple Coil songs will have a "Twin-Coil" or "Tri-Coil" tag on the file name, and will definitely have more than two notes playing at once, so likely won't sound very nice on a single coil.

In order to utilize these songs properly, you have a couple options... to use MidiEditor to play the song through two coils, you will need two interrupters, with one of them programed to play Channel 0, and the other programed for Channel 1. This is the simplest way to play the songs. Because I've made them multi-track as well as multi-channel, the second option is to use software like FruityLoops or Ableton (I recommend Ableton) to play the different tracks, and output them to all MIDI channels. For this situation you will also need two interrupters, one on MIDI-2.0, and one on MIDI-2.0 #2, one for each track. You'll certainly need to learn a bit about Ableton before you start using it.

I'll start off the roster with Dueling Banjos for Twin Coils... There are 4 notes at once through much of the song, with track 1 being the guitar, and track 2 being the banjo. This track will not work on a single coil because it is separated into two channels, as I made it specifically for twin coils. You're welcome to take out some of the guitar and banjo runs and attempt this as a single coil song, I just wouldn't recommend it.

DuelingBanjos-for-Twin-Coils.rar
(3.01 KiB) Downloaded 1407 times
ican
Magnificent MOSFET

Re: ican's multi-track midi's

Postby Fiddy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:26 pm

Nice work! Not sure on how many people have dual coils for this to be usable tho.

On another note, how hard is it to re-flash the onetesla interrupter with a new channel?
Pico SGTC
Nano SSTC
Audio Modulated SSTC
Audio Modulated Bipolar SSTC
TinyTesla SSTC
Onetesla TS DRSSTC
OneTesla DRSSTC
EVR MicroBrute DRSSTC
Fiddy
Terrific Tube

Postby ican » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:39 am

It's actually really easy... you only need to change a single line in the code.

According to Heidi, "You'd have to change the line that says MIDI.begin(0) in interrupter.ino to MIDI.begin(channel_number)"

However, in my code, and I'm sure yours as well, that line reads MIDI.begin(1) and is commented to say that this line listens to all MIDI channels. I'm guessing that a value of 0 reads no channels, 1 reads all channels, and 2-16 can read specific channels (not channel 0 or 1), but I actually didn't test any of that at all. Now that I think about it, I think someone from oneTesla said something about the value in that line wasn't allowed to be 0 since it would think that means "off"?? So perhaps in this case, 1=0, and 17=16... try it out and see.

Do make sure if you change anything in interrupter.ino, that the same line is changed in interrupter.cpp before you compile the code. We had some funky results yesterday in changing the range of fixed frequency values because I forgot to make sure both files were changed. On that note, changing the second value in the line 3500 + (float) 1500 * v /256 to 15000 and the first value to 1000 makes for a much wider sweep of pitch response in fixed mode. Please note anything higher than 15000 will result in some very funky - though pretty damn cool - results in fixed frequency mode. (try 252500 as the max and 1500 as the minimum to see what I mean.... *disclaimer* not my fault if you break your IGBTs doing this.) I used the Ableton method, which I can now explain better after having had it explained to me...

In any "band-in-a-box" style software with midi and audio capability (not MidiEditor), drag your midi file into the program and have it populate based on tracks. If you've done any editing, make sure that you don't just change the channels in your midi, but the tracks as well. I do all my actual editing in MidiEditor, and then move the completed file over to Ableton. You should have 2 tracks (for 2 coils) loaded in Ableton, and then everything after those tracks should be empty if you've done your editing properly.

In the instruments section, select external instrument, and drop it on any empty channel, and do the same for a second empty channel. Set the I/O for these channels to "In", and change the output for each of them to MIDI-2.0 and MIDI-2.0 #2. When you're done with a 2-track, 2-channel midi file, this is what it should look like... Note, you can leave your channels alone, and only edit tracks, and achieve the same results.

ican
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby ican » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:06 pm

1st Noel for Twin Coils or Solo Coil. Channel 0 and Track 1 is the full melody, Channel 1 and Track 2 is the full harmony... Merry Christmas, and Enjoy!

1st Noel - Twin Coil and Solo Coil.rar
(657 Bytes) Downloaded 1421 times
ican
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Bayley » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:34 pm

Oh oops, that comment is out of date; MIDI.begin(0) listens to all channels, and MIDI.begin(channel_num) listens to channels 1-16.
Bayley
Lord Protector

Postby ican » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:43 am

Bayley wrote:Oh oops, that comment is out of date; MIDI.begin(0) listens to all channels, and MIDI.begin(channel_num) listens to channels 1-16.

That can't be... because the code in the interrupter is set for MIDI.begin(1), and it only plays whatever is on channel 0...
ican
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby ican » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:46 am

Carol of the Bells for Dual and Tri Coil setups... We haven't gotten to test the 3-part track yet, but the dual coil setup was incredible... we had the coils arcing to each other for most of the song, and it looked amazing... You can check out the videos. Check out those beautiful arcs! =)

http://youtu.be/eOI8o1St-5I
http://youtu.be/0MHOJ4Lv2GM

CarolOfTheBells.rar
(1.78 KiB) Downloaded 1419 times
ican
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Speedy78 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:08 am

Where do you get your toroids from?
Speedy78
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby ican » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:35 pm

those are both oneTesla toroids. We bolt them together, spin them on a lathe and buff them out with a green scratch pad for a brushed finish.
ican
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Speedy78 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:05 pm

The just look thicker in the videos.
Speedy78
Magnificent MOSFET

Next

Return to MIDI Files