MIDI software crashed

Share your MIDI files here

MIDI software crashed

Postby paullions » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:12 am

I've a problem with playing MIDI files. When I only connect the midi converter USB to my laptop (and not to the interupter), i can play all files, the 'out' blue led on the midi converter blinks at every note so thats fine. But when i connect the MIDI plug in the interupter, the software (Multi Midi Player on this forum) on my computer crash. BTW, on the fixed mode everything works oke. Has anyone also this problem?
paullions
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: MIDI software crashed

Postby Tod » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:41 am

Do you have the newest version of the software? Help/About should show 2.1.2 If not, download it here

Try plugging in the USB device before starting the software.

Let me know if that helps

Tod
Tod
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby paullions » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:00 am

I had not the latest version. For troubleshooting the problem I first runned the 2.1 to check if the problem is still there and played a file without my Tesla.. but it is not there. The same I had a couple of times ago, with Tesla: the problem is there. Without the Tesla: there is no problem.

Now i'm thinking: maybe the problem is there because my laptop is also plugged in the mains while the Tesla is running. I know, in the manual OneTesla writes: "If you are using a laptop as a MIDI source, MAKE SURE IT IS NOT PLUGGED IN. The RF returning through mains ground will be inejected back into the laptop, often causing problems." (So: rtfm :roll:) But because of a bad laptop battery, I need to plug it in de mains.

So, next time i try to use a other laptop or something without plugging it into the mains. I'll keep you informed.
paullions
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby ican » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:27 am

The plugging into the mains problem can be solved by shielding your laptop from the coil... I use my Pelican case with aluminum foil behind the top lid to prevent any EM from coming through the air to the laptop, and wrap the power cord in foil as well... It shouldn't work, but it does...
ican
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby paullions » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:06 pm

Right. Yesterday i tested the Tesla with another laptop. The program didnt crashed and the blue status led on the midi converter cable blinked on the beat, yeah it works! But...the Tesla wouldnt do anything: so a new problem. I have to diagnose the interupter.
paullions
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Postby bomber315 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:39 pm

ican wrote:The plugging into the mains problem can be solved by shielding your laptop from the coil... I use my Pelican case with aluminum foil behind the top lid to prevent any EM from coming through the air to the laptop, and wrap the power cord in foil as well... It shouldn't work, but it does...

people said i was full of it when i made this claim. i found that shielding the midi cord was what i needed.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1389
bomber315
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Tod » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:47 am

I can agree with Ican. While developing the midi software, I became relaxed with my shielding. I use a PC for development hooked on the mains, (but isolated with a quality UPS system). I ended up destroying the USB ports that the midi interrupter was plugged into. I purchased a cheap PCI-E USB card to replace the USB on the computer and now use a USB HUB to help isolate it from the PC. Keep your interrupter and cables as far away from the coil as you can :-)
Tod
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Return to MIDI Files