Breakout Rod Necessary?

Got friendly advice? Post it here!

Breakout Rod Necessary?

Postby Veldrin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:36 pm

Out of curiosity, is it necessary to run the Tesla coil with the breakout rod attached? I was tempted to try running it without the rod, but was unsure if it was safe to do so. Any thoughts/advice are appreciated!
Veldrin
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: Breakout Rod Necessary?

Postby Bayley » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:46 pm

Your coil may or may not explode without the breakout point; the exact results will depend on where your coil is and how it is tuned.
In other words, I would not recommend it.
Bayley
Lord Protector

Postby Frost273 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:18 am

Mine had excessive flashovers all over the closest surface of the secondary from the primary without the break point.

Though with the copper rod it was well tuned.
Definitely I would recommend to run the coil only with the breakout point.
Frost273
Magnificent MOSFET

Postby Freebee » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:13 pm

You definitely need a breakout point of some sort. If you don't have it, there won't be a spark breakout, or worse (and more probable) it will breakout all over you secondary, degrading insulation and all sorts of things you don't want.

Of course I've tried running without it, and upping the power factor only a little. There's absolutely nothing happening, that is until the secondary flashes over and the fun is over. Aside from that it's just dangerous, because you have no visual feedback, and hardly any audio feedback, so one could touch it and come back with a nasty surprise. No sparks could still mean a very high voltage present on the toroid!

If you really want something nicer, I'd suggest getting a nice lathed metal point that screws on top of the toroid, it makes it look very good.

There's a really good toroid supplied I must say, it holds the charge really well!
Freebee
Terrific Tube

Postby jmiles » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:34 pm

If your toroid is holding any sort of static charge after the coil's turned off, you have a grounding problem at the bottom of your secondary that you need to look into. It's not a Van de Graaff. :)
jmiles
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Return to Tips and Tricks