Main chassis - primary screw terminal alignment

We're not perfect! What can we change?

Main chassis - primary screw terminal alignment

Postby tekart » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:16 pm

It seems that there is a conflict between the design revisions for the main circuit board and the main chassis walls. This is most evident where the two screw terminals for the primary coil meet the rear wall of the chassis. The screw terminal block that came with my kit is so large that the rear chassis wall would not fit correctly:
Clearly a design revision is in order for the laser cut acrylic, and a smaller screw terminal block should be used in future.

My solution was to use my large upright belt sander to grind off about 1/8" off the rear surface of the screw terminal block:

The other issue is that the hole in the rear chassis panel does not align with the screw terminal block. I had to mill out the aperture so that it would align sufficiently to allow connections to the screw terminals:
This aperture should be moved over to align correctly with the screw terminal block in a future revision.
Last edited by tekart on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I design and develop electronic products for a living. Built many Tesla Coils using 10 Amp triode interrupters back in the mid 1980's.
tekart
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: Main chassis - primary screw termianal alignment

Postby Bayley » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:56 pm

You got the rear panel of the chassis backwards. Flip it around and the terminal will line up with the hole.
Bayley
Lord Protector

Re: Main chassis - primary screw termianal alignment

Postby tekart » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:54 am

You are mistaken Bayley. There is no combination of locations of the side walls that allow the back panel hole to align. Please check this out for yourself. In the image below - the bottom tabs do not align.
You also dismissed my concern about the screw terminal block.
I design and develop electronic products for a living. Built many Tesla Coils using 10 Amp triode interrupters back in the mid 1980's.
tekart
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: Main chassis - primary screw terminal alignment

Postby tekart » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:12 am

OK now I have it figured out. I had the base plate upside-down. If you had labeled the acrylic in some way - such as small letters on the tabs that match at each corner, it would make the assembly much easier.
tekart
Tipsy Toggle Switch

Re: Main chassis - primary screw terminal alignment

Postby Bayley » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:10 pm

We will probably put alignment marks in the next revision. As for the current difficulty of assignment, this is why we recommend using hot glue (for easy disassembly) and test-fitting the case before gluing it together.
Bayley
Lord Protector

Return to Suggestions