Before you begin
View the tutorials
All of our tutorials can be found at onetesla.com/tutorials
- Soldering tutorial
- De-soldering tutorial
- How a Tesla coil works
- Heat sink hardware installation
- Main board's logic component installation
- Low voltage driver board test
- Main board's power component installation
- IGBT installation
Observe good workspace practices
- Keep your workspace neat and orderly.
- Always obey common sense.
- Do not continue work if at any point you feel uncomfortable with the hazards a challenging electronics project poses.
- Use caution when soldering—lead is hazardous, and the iron is extremely hot.
Use the right equipment
Having the proper tools for electronic assembly, particularly a powerful enough soldering iron, will make your life much easier! Here are the tools you need to assemble your Tesla coil:
- temperature-controlled soldering iron, 40W minimum
- rosin-core solder of an appropriate thickness
- safety glasses
- small pliers
- flush cutters
- wire strippers
- small screwdriver
- hot glue gun
Optional but useful:
- packing tape
- masking tape
- solder wick or other desoldering tools
You will also need...
- spray-on or paint-on polyurethane varnish
- a mini USB cable to connect to the tinyTesla interrupter
- a laptop running 1T Panel or other MIDI control software